I am a firm believer, and have said it many times, that healthy food can taste good. And my simple, one-bowl Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is proof. I love the comment after a taste test or meal, “I can’t believe that is good for me!” With bright, fresh lemon this makes a wonderful weekend Spring brunch addition, any day snack, or dessert for your table. Try serving with a Spring Vegetable Frittata.
Unsweetened applesauce is an easy substitution for typically highly refined, large doses of oil found in baked goods. Almond and coconut flours are not only grain free, but also helpful choices for people struggling with diabetes – used in this recipe one slice contains only 10g carbs and 4g natural sugar, when using Stevia to sweeten.
Pure almond extract (or vanilla) add natural sweetness without loads of calories (please note the word pure, no imitation products). Often gluten free baking mixes, or pre-baked pastries are pumped with sugar. Regularly, sugar is the first or second ingredient listed on box nutrition labels. And ingredients are listed from the highest quantities used to the least.
Friends and family will never know this moist, flavorful bread is healthy and grain free. So delicious, I just had three slices this morning with a steamy mug of coffee, and I’m resisting a fourth.
LEMON POPPY SEED BREAD
gluten, dairy & refined sugar free
makes 8 slices
• 3 large EGGS
• 1 cup UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE
• 1 tsp PURE ALMOND EXTRACT
• 60 drops LIQUID STEVIA (or 1/4-1/3 cup honey or maple syrup)
• 1 tbsp LEMON ZEST
• JUICE OF 1 LEMON
• 1/2 tsp BAKING SODA
• 3/4 tsp BAKING POWDER
• 1/3 cup COCONUT FLOUR
• 1/2 cup ALMOND FLOUR
• 1 1/2 tbsp POPPY SEEDS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 5″ loaf pan with coconut cooking oil or spray.
2. In a large bowl whisk eggs, applesauce, almond extract, Stevia (or sweetener of choice), lemon zest and juice. Mix in baking soda, powder, both flours and poppy seeds until well incorporated.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until middle is set and top is golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes and remove from pan. Cut into 8 slices. Serving size, one slice.
VARIATIONS: Sub orange juice and zest for lemon. Add 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries or raspberries to batter in place of poppy seeds.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 110 calories, 6g fat, 1g sat fat, 80mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 10g carb, 3g fiber, 4g sugar, 5g protein