Here are two more recipes to try out for the big turkey day! Both are super simple and use some similar ingredients. You can quickly whip them up the day of your holiday get together. Easy to double or triple the recipes to match the number of guests attending.
ROSEMARY CORN MUFFINS – makes 12 muffins
moist, delicious and excellent warm out of the oven ~ try switching up the usual biscuits or rolls by serving these corn muffins ~ also low in fat, it’s hard to eat just one!
1 cup MILK, NONFAT
1 EGG, large
5 tbsp SUGAR
1/3 cup YOGURT, PLAIN, LOWFAT, (Organic if possible)
2 tbsp BUTTER, REGULAR, UNSALTED, softened
1 cup CORN, FRESH OR FROZEN
1 cup WHEAT FLOUR, WHITE, ALL PURPOSE
1 cup CORNMEAL
1 1/2 tsp BAKING POWDER
1/2 tsp SALT, SEA
- 1/2 tbsp ROSEMARY LEAVES, FRESH, chopped (plus leaves for garnishing) – or use 1 tsp dried rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together milk, egg, sugar, yogurt and butter in a mixing bowl. Add corn and sift in flour and baking powder.
2. Stir in cornmeal, salt and rosemary, just until combined. Pour batter evenly into cooking sprayed or paper lined muffin cups. Lightly press a small sprig of rosemary into the top of each batter filled cup. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until toothpick lightly inserted comes out clean. Serving size is 1 muffin. (recipe adapted from Martha Stewart)
Tip: Can make ahead and freeze.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 150 calories, 2.5g fat, 25mg cholesterol, 27g carb, 1g fiber, 6g sugar, 4g protein
ROASTED ROSEMARY & GARLIC RED POTATOES
rosemary is a great accompaniment to earthy potatoes ~ cutting them allows for quicker cooking and much healthier than butter doused mashed potatoes.
1 1/2 lbs. SMALL RED POTATOES, halved or quartered
1 tbsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN, 100% first cold pressed unrefined
1/2 tsp GARLIC POWDER
SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- 2 tsp ROSEMARY, FRESH, chopped (or 3/4 tsp dried)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Toss cut red potatoes in a bowl with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Place on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with rosemary; bake and additional 3-5 minutes, or until cooked through and crunchy and brown on the outside. Serving size is 1/4 of recipe or about 2/3 cup potatoes.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 160 calories, 3.5g fat, 28g carb, 3g fiber, 2g sugar, 3g protein
What is a favorite holiday dish in your family? Or what are you serving up this year?