Moist, warm, cinnamon spiced pumpkin bread. You won’t believe its low fat and only 150, delicious calories per slice. Most bread recipes can call for up to 1 cup of oil and 3 cups of sugar. Popular coffee shop bread loaf options ring in at a whopping 350-450 calories per slice! Nonfat Greek yogurt, applesauce and plenty of pumpkin drastically reduce the fat and calorie content, without touching the rich flavor of this classic treat.
Makes 2 loaves, so keep one for you and take one to a friend, or wrap up and freeze for an upcoming brunch, breakfast or coffee time. Because the bread is so healthy I had to add an optional side of orange-cinnamon honey butter, for those in a slightly indulgent mood or hosting special guests. Other topping options: lowfat, whipped cream cheese spread or my chocolate pumpkin cream cheese under the bread side tab.
Bake some up this weekend, or tonight after dinner. Added bonus: sweet baking aromas fill your house.
makes 2 loaves – 24 servings
- 15 oz PUMPKIN PUREE (1 can)
- 1/4 cup CANOLA OIL
- 4 egg EGGS, large
- 1 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 3/4 cup SUGAR
- 2/3 cup WATER
- 1/2 cup APPLESAUCE, UNSWEETENED
- 6 oz PLAIN, NONFAT GREEK YOGURT
- 1 1/2 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
- 1 tsp NUTMEG, GROUND
- 1/4 tsp ALLSPICE OR CLOVES, GROUND
- 1/4 tsp GINGER, GROUND
- 1/2 tsp ORANGE ZEST
- 1 cup WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
- 2 1/2 cup WHITE FLOUR, UNBLEACHED
- 2 tsp BAKING SODA
- 1 1/2 tsp FINE SEA SALT
1. Cream together pumpkin, sugar, eggs, vanilla, oil, water, applesauce and yogurt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in all spices and orange zest.
2. Add flours, salt and baking soda to wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Pour batter evenly into 2 – 9″ x 5″ loaf pans, sprayed with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove each loaf from pan and cool on a rack. Slice each loaf into 12 slices. Serving size: 1 slice.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 150 cal, 3g fat, 35mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 26 carb, 2g fiber, 11g sugar, 4g protein
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp pure honey
Whip together and store in refrigerator. Serving size: 2 tsp about 50 calories.