One word for you…. Delicious! I don’t need to go much further on these bundles of flavor and crunch. Make them ahead, reheat filling, and serve as an appetizer, side or main dish. Substitute ground or chopped chicken breasts or toss in extra vegetables for a meatless option. Easily made gluten/wheat free with the use of wheat free tamari soy sauce.
A fun, and healthy Friday or Saturday night meal to share with your family or friends. Set up a big platter in the middle of a table with all the toppings and fillings and let the fun begin. Each person can enjoy creating, and filling, their own personalized lettuce wrap.
Make it a meal – Serve with a side of my vegetable fried rice, under the sides tab or sauteed sugar snap peas (2 cups snap peas, 2 tsp olive or sesame oil, 2 tsp soy sauce, s&p if needed, crushed red pepper flakes and sesame seeds or sliced almonds) and if your wanting dessert…. my peanut butter, honey and banana egg rolls under the desserts side tab.
serves 8 (appetizer servings) 4 (main dish servings)
- 1 lb LEAN GROUND TURKEY OR CHICKEN, 93/7
- 2 tsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN OR SESAME OIL
- 1/2 large RED ONION, chopped
- 5 oz FRESH WHITE MUSHROOMS, chopped
- 1/2 cup CARROTS, chopped
- 1/2 cup CELERY, chopped
- 8 oz WATER CHESTNUTS, chopped
- 4 clove GARLIC, minced (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tsp GINGER, GROUND, (or 1 Tbsp fresh minced)
- 3 tbsp LOW SODIUM SOY SAUCE*
- 1/4 tsp BLACK PEPPER, GROUND
- 1/2 tsp HOT SAUCE, optional, (to taste)
- 1 head LETTUCE, ICEBERG OR BIBB
- 1 medium RED BELL PEPPER, thinly sliced
- 2 cup BEAN SPROUTS, FRESH, (or SHREDDED CABBAGE)
- 8 tsp PEANUTS, chopped
PEANUT SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 tbsp PEANUT BUTTER, NATURAL, creamy or chunky
- 1 1/2 tbsp LOW SODIUM SOY SAUCE*
- 1 tbsp HONEY
- 1/3 tsp SESAME OR OLIVE OIL
- 1 1/2 tbsp WATER
*GLUTEN/WHEAT FREE OPTION – use wheat-free reduce sodium Tamari soy sauce
1. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and onion, sauté about 3-4 minutes until softened. Stir in carrot, celery, water chestnuts, garlic and mushrooms. Continue sautéing another 3-4 minutes. Remove vegetable mixture from pan and set aside.
2. Brown turkey in same skillet; about 7-8 minutes. Add vegetables and ginger to cooked turkey. Stir in soy sauce, black pepper and hot sauce, if desired.
3. Cut the core off the head of lettuce and carefully remove 8 leaves one by one, leaving the center small leaves, and stack on a plate.
4. On a large platter arrange lettuce leaves, turkey filling (garnish with fresh cilantro if desired), pepper slices, bean sprouts, peanuts and peanut sauce. Fill each lettuce piece with filling, vegetable toppings, 1 tsp peanuts and drizzle of peanut sauce; roll up, and eat. Serving size: 1 filled wrap (appetizer portion), 2 for main dish is 300 calories.
5. For the peanut sauce: heat all ingredients in a small microwave bowl, stirring frequently to not burn, until smooth. Drizzle over lettuce wrap filling. Serving size: 1 tsp = 25 calories.
NUTRITION INFO FOR ONE WRAP (not including peanut sauce): 150 cal, 6g fat, 35mg cholesterol, 10g carb, 2g fiber, 3g sugar, 14g protein