In honor of my last dinner cooked on the west coast, and the hostess Kristen who loves them, I made a salad with beautiful slices of creamy California avocados. My inspiration came from plump, pink grapefruit on sale at the market that day (for all you budget savvy shoppers they were 3 for $1 – couldn’t help myself). Tossed together with some arugula, spinach, shaved parm and a lemon vinaigrette – a hit!
Add some grilled shrimp or fish to make it a meal. I served my salad with roasted tomato basil soup (you’ll be seeing soon) and grilled mozzarella, tomato and pesto sandwiches.
I’ll have to admit I was a little nervous about serving this new creation, especially to a couple “surfer guys” – but they all loved it! Fresh, easy and beautiful….who wouldn’t want to put this salad on the table this Spring? Also, a great addition to Easter brunch or lunch. Make the dressing and cut grapefruit ahead; store in refrigerator until time to serve.
serves 12 – as a side
10 cups ARUGULA & BABY SPINACH MIX
4 cups HEARTS OF ROMAINE, chopped
2 large GRAPEFRUIT, peeled and segments cut
2 AVOCADOS, sliced, w/o skin & seeds
1/2 small RED ONION, thinly sliced
1/2 cup OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
2 tsp MUSTARD, PREPARED, DIJON
3 tbsp PURE OR RAW HONEY
1 tbsp APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
1 tsp LEMON ZEST
2 LEMONS, JUICED
SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- 1/3 cup SHAVED FRESH PARMESAN, or shredded
1. For the vinaigrette: whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to serve salad.
2. Prepare grapefruit by cutting off both ends.
then run a sharp knife around the sides removing peel and white part.
Squeeze a little extra grapefruit juice over them to keep fresh.
3. Slice avocados and place in the vinaigrette, stirring gentle to coat (the lemon juice prevents avocado from browning).
4. Place greens in a large bowl. Toss with grapefruit segments (can use a little juice if desired), avocado and vinaigrette, shaved parm and additional fresh ground black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately. Serving size about 1 1/2 cups.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 190 cal, 15g fat, 15g carb, 4g fiber, 9g sugar, 3g protein
Refreshing and delicious twist on a classic green salad none of your guests will be expecting……and it takes minimal effort on the cook’s part….even better.
California in a bowl…..
See ya’ So Cal!
On our way home…..1,285 miles down and the exciting state of Nebraska and part of Iowa to go! Natural beauty surrounded us yesterday….pictures don’t capture its fullness.
me and my husband Klint – at a scenic outlook
His glory fills the earth!