Ahhh, peanut butter and jelly, a classic American combination. No bread sandwiching jam here, just two, melt-in-your-mouth peanut butter cookies. What else is there to say, I mean really?
Creamy natural peanut butter and fresh, all natural strawberry preserves, (or 100% fruit spread) unite in this twist on a classic, turned dessert. Health ingredient note: make sure to purchase peanut butter, creamy or chunky, with no added sugar or preservatives. Only ingredients listed should be peanuts, maybe sea salt, and sometimes a little oil. Chocolate lovers, try using dark chocolate chips in the center -sandwich while warm to melt.
Keep cookies single and top each with a half teaspoon of fruit spread or preserves for a “lightened up” pb & j treat (only 100 calories).
Super simple, with no added preservatives!
makes 14 cookie sandwiches
1 cup WHOLE WHEAT PASTRY FLOUR
1/2 cup WHITE FLOUR, UNBLEACHED
1/2 tsp BAKING SODA
1/2 tsp SALT, SEA
1 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT
1/2 cup SUGAR
1/3 cup BROWN SUGAR OR PURE HONEY
2/3 cup PEANUT BUTTER, NATURAL, CREAMY OR CHUNKY
4 tbsp BUTTER, REGULAR, UNSALTED, softened
- 14 tsp STRAWBERRY PRESERVES OR FRUIT SPREAD, 100% FRUIT
1. Cream sugars, peanut butter and butter together with an electric mixer. Stir in vanilla and egg.
2. Add flours, baking soda, salt; stirring just until combined. Form dough into a ball or long tube shape, cover tightly in plastic and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On two parchment lined, or cooking sprayed cookie sheets, scoop dough, or form with hands, round (dough will be crumbly – just press together), about 1-inch balls of dough. Should have 28 total.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until just starting to brown on bottoms. Remove from oven and press tops down sligthly with a fork, while cookies are still warm. Cool completely on a wire rack.
5. When cookies are cool, take one, flip upside down, spread with 1 tsp fruit spread and top with a second cookie. Makes 14 sandwiches or 28 single cookies.
VARIATIONS: Stop after step 4 for single, 100 calorie peanut butter cookies, add 1/2 tsp fruit spread to top middle for thumbprint looking cookie, if desired. Toss dark chocolate chips into batter (adjusts nutrition info).
NUTRITION INFO PER SANDWICH COOKIE: 200 calories, 10g fat, 3g sat fat, 10mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 25g carb, 2g fiber, 12g sugar, 4g protein