Over the weekend, my grandma gave me an extremely large bag of fresh picked asparagus from her garden. When on the west coast I loved the roasted vegetable salad from California Pizza Kitchen. So, with my new produce I tried recreating that flavorful salad I miss so much.
Great vegetarian option without shrimp, or add beans. Substitute cooked, shredded chicken or grilled lean steak for shrimp. Top with crushed, blue corn tortilla chips for some added crunch. Also, a wheat and dairy free meal!
3 cups ROMAINE LETTUCE, chopped
1/2 AVOCADO, chopped
8 CHERRY OR GRAPE TOMATOES
4 ASPARAGUS SPEARS, ends removed, chopped into 1-2″ pieces
1/2 medium ONION, sliced
5 medium CARROTS, BABY, chopped
1 medium ZUCCHINI W/SKIN, chopped
1 medium RED BELL PEPPER, chopped
3 cloves GARLIC, whole, peeled
1 tbsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
1/2 cup CORN, FRESH or FROZEN, thawed
- 1/4 lb (or 6) large SHRIMP, RAW, peeled and deveined
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large, rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Toss vegetables (except corn), whole garlic cloves, olive oil, salt and pepper on prepared baking sheet (I use the same pan “broken in” pan to roast in).
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn vegetables, add corn, and bake an additional 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
3. Saute shrimp in a small skillet sprayed with cooking spray, over medium heat a few minutes per side, or until pink and warmed through.
Drizzle shrimp with a teaspoon or two of fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper if desired.
4. Layer 1 1/2 cups of romaine on a large dinner plate. Remove roasted garlic cloves from vegetables, smash and mince and toss back into vegetables.
5. Top lettuce with warm vegetables, 3 shrimp and 1/2 of the chopped avocado. Add salt and pepper to taste, garnish with parsley, crushed red pepper or cilantro, if desired. Serving size is 1 salad with 1/2 the vegetables and 3 shrimp.
Salad is great without dressing, but if desired drizzle with extra olive oil, lemon juice or a good bottled, or homemade low fat balsamic or favorite vinaigrette. Top with crushed blue corn tortilla chips.
VARIATIONS: For a meatless option omit shrimp or add great northern beans, chickpeas or black beans. Substitute shredded chicken or sliced lean steak for shrimp. Top with crumbled feta or low fat shredded cheese.
NUTRITION INFO PER SALAD (with shrimp): 290 calories, 15g fat, 2g sat fat, 30mg cholesterol, 33g carb, 10g fiber, 14g sugar, 11g protein