The ultimate spring appetizer or side dish. This one is for any of you that made my chicken pot pie recipe and have phyllo dough staring you down every time you open the freezer door.
Continuing to use up my Costco size bag of asparagus from my grandma, with fresh roasted asparagus, wrapped in crunchy baked phyllo and topped with slightly salty parmesan cheese. These little presents look like you spent hours in the kitchen, when 10 minutes prep is all you need. Surprise your family or guests with something new, flavorful, healthy and can I just say, “cute”? This one might even get kids to like asparagus!
makes 10 bundles
30 ASPARAGUS SPEARS, FRESH, tough ends cut, similar lengths
20 SHEETS PHYLLO DOUGH, thawed in fridge overnight
3 tsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
10 tsp FRESH, SHREDDED PARMESAN CHEESE
SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
NONSTICK COOKING SPRAY
- PARSLEY SPRIGS, (optional garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, set aside.
2. Lay one sheet of phyllo dough on a working surface (like a cutting board) spray with cooking spray, top with a second phyllo sheet, spray and press down gently to adhere. Fold over both sheets in half lengthwise and spray once more (may need to fold a second time lengthwise if asparagus is shorter in length).
3. Take three similar length spears of asparagus, starting at far left end of phyllo, roll up asparagus in phyllo and gently press seam to board to seal. Place wrapped bundle on the prepared baking sheet, brush or spray tops with olive oil (including asparagus), salt, pepper and about 1 tsp shredded parmesan. Repeat process with remaining ingredients.
4. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven, then broil tops for 3-4 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown and crunchy (watch carefully not to burn – I always seem to burn when broiling.) Makes 10 bundles.
Appetizer serving size: 1 bundle.
VARIATIONS: Use one phyllo sheet per bundle, in same process above, for a side dish(serving recommendation – 3 bundles) and fewer calories (80 calories per bundle). Add lemon zest for a bright citrus flavor and garnish. And for anyone feeling their creative juices flowing, tie a green onion (just bright green part) around the middle of the baked phyllo part of bundle.
NUTRITION INFO PER BUNDLE: 140 calories, 4g fat, 1g sat fat, 22g carb, 2g fiber, 4g protein
Hope you are all enjoying a colorful Spring!