I made mini chicken salad sandwiches for a friend to take to an appetizer party this weekend. So, the next day, what did I do…. made a second batch for my fridge. You’ll never guess this chicken salad is lower in fat and calories. And the crunchy almonds add great texture and nutty flavor.
Chicken salad sandwich lunch plate: 1 cup grapes, 6 baby carrots, chicken salad on a 100 cal thin bun (oh, forgot to add the alfalfa sprouts I had – so feel free to add your own toppings) = 310 calories.
Great for an outdoor picnic, work or quick weekend lunch. Try serving in a hulled out tomato, wheat flour tortilla, on a bed of chopped romaine, or with whole grain crackers to dip instead of a bun. An easy, healthy and delicious recipe!
- 1 1/4 lb CHICKEN BREAST, BONELESS, SKINLESS
- 1 cup CELERY WITH LEAVES (3 or 4 stalks) finely chopped
- 1/2 small YELLOW OR RED ONION, finely chopped
- 2 tsp FRESH LEMON JUICE
- 1 tsp SALT, SEA
- 1/4 tsp BLACK PEPPER, GROUND
- 1/4 tsp GARLIC POWDER
- 1 tsp PARSLEY, DRIED (or 2 tsp fresh)
- 1/2 cup MAYONNAISE, REDUCED FAT WITH OLIVE OIL
- 1/3 cup ALMONDS, coarsely chopped or sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a medium baking dish with cooking spray or olive oil; place chicken breasts in pan and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Bake, covered for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through and no longer pink. Set aside to cool 10 minutes on stovetop.
2. While chicken is resting, prepare the remaining ingredients (except almonds) and place in a medium size mixing bowl. Dice chicken into small pieces.
Add diced chicken to the mixing bowl, while still warm, stir with other ingredients.
Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight. Mix in almonds before serving.
Serving size: about 1/2 cup salad.
VARIATIONS: Add other nuts, fresh or dried fruits (cranberries, cherries, pecans, pineapple, mandarin oranges).
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (1/2 cup salad): 130 calories, 4.5g fat, 35mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium, 5g carb, 2g sugar, 16g protein