Everyone take a deep breath with me now, 1-2-3, ahhhh. Now that heart rates have lowered, yes it’s true, there is watermelon in this salad. Unassuming I know, but a colorful and sweet addition to the co-star ingredients. A pleasant surprise for your taste buds. Watermelon combines exceptionally well with the toasty crunch from the almonds, and tangy, soft feta.
A beautiful and exciting, summer or spring salad. Not many will bring this delicious bowl of healthy greens to your next outdoor party or family gathering. Fruit side and salad, all-in-one!
The fresh, large leaf spinach was added by my brother-in-law, and gardening specialist Nick, from Turtle Farms in Granger, Iowa. Vibrate spinach is a great source of Vitamin A and Folate.
SPINACH, FETA & WATERMELON SALAD
6 cups SPINACH, LARGE LEAF, chopped, OR BABY SPINACH
- 5 cups ARUGULA , (or romaine lettuce)
- 4 oz FETA CHEESE*, REDUCED FAT, crumbled
- 6 cups WATERMELON, diced
- 1/3 cup ALMONDS, slivered, toasted
- 1 small RED ONION, thinly sliced
- 1 LEMON, JUICED
- 1/3 cup OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN, 100% first cold pressed unrefined
- 1 tsp DIJON MUSTARD*
- 1 tbsp HONEY, PURE or RAW
- SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
*GLUTEN/WHEAT FREE OPTION – use gluten free mustard such as Annie’s brand or other, Athenos brand feta is gluten free.
1. In a small mixing bowl combine honey, mustard, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper; whisk in olive oil until smooth. Set aside.
2. Toss all spinach and arugula with 1/2 of the watermelon*, almonds, onion, feta and vinaigrette in a large bowl. Top with remainder of ingredients and dressing (if needed). Serve immediately, serving size about 1 1/2 cups.
*I prechopped and refrigerated my watermelon, nice and cold to serve.
VARIATIONS: Add other fruits like sliced oranges or 1 cup dried cherries for watermelon, or other nuts like pine nuts or walnuts.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 160 calories, 11g fat, 2g sat fat, 14g carb, 3g fiber, 8g sugar, 4g protein