I have some exciting news (no, I haven’t heard any updates on the Taste of Home contest winner yet). But, I won a different contest! Yeah, I know, I was shocked beyond all facial expressions too. Kind of feel like I should buy a lottery ticket or something right now.
Next month, a guest (my mom, Brenda) and I will be traveling to Oklahoma, along with three other contest winners and their guest of choice. We’ll stay at the Pioneer Woman’s ranch, cook our recipes with Ree Drummond (aka Pioneer Woman) and have a good old-fashioned grill out.
Back in April I entered the PW Bush’s Grillin’ Beans recipe contest and the rules were simple. Four categories (chicken, beef, pork and wild card), no more than ten accessible ingredients, and fairly quick to make, not including marinating time. I entered my Orange-Chipotle Salmon with Grilled Onions and Cilantro, which won the wild card group!
If unfamiliar, the Pioneer Woman has an extremely successful blog, Food Network show, cookbooks and let’s throw in her own Wikipedia page just for fun. The winning recipes and contest details are featured on her blog today:
If you have any questions, suggestions or advice for my trip (or what I should ask Ree), I’d love to hear all your comments. Well, I guess I don’t really know what else to say but here’s the recipe…..
ORANGE-CHIPOTLE SALMON with GRILLED ONIONS and CILANTRO
with Bush’s Texas Ranchero Grillin’ Beans
Sweet, fresh orange juice and honey mixed with smoky chipotle, over a beautiful salmon filet – a main dish that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser. Topped with a sliced grilled onion and fresh cilantro, this orange-chipotle salmon perfectly pairs with the kick from Bush’s Texas Ranchero Grillin’ Beans.
- 8 oz SALMON FILET, (2 – 4 oz. portions) I like using a wild variety
- JUICE OF 2 ORANGES & ZEST OF 1 ORANGE
- 1 CHIPOTLE IN ADOBO (canned) and 2 tsp CHIPOTLE ADOBO SAUCE
- 2 tbsp PURE HONEY
- 3 GARLIC CLOVES, chopped
- 1/2 tsp SEA SALT
- 1/4 tsp BLACK PEPPER, GROUND
- 2 SLICES OF ONION, 1/4” thick
- 2 tbsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
- 2 tbsp FRESH CILANTRO
1. For the marinade, combine fresh orange juice, orange zest, chipotle and adobo sauce, honey and garlic in a small food processor or blender; process until smooth.
2. Add salt, pepper and marinade (reserving 1-2 tablespoons of marinade to brush on salmon while grilling) into a plastic zip top bag with salmon filets. Marinate in refrigerator for about 2 hours (or your preference of time).
3. Preheat grill to medium high.
4. Remove salmon from marinade and slice two 1/4-inch thick pieces of onion. Brush salmon and whole onion slices with olive oil and extra sprinkle of salt and pepper, on both sides. Place salmon and onion on the grill and cook 5-6 minutes per side, depending on thickness of salmon. As the salmon cooks, brush with reserved marinade.
5. To serve, top grilled salmon with 1 cooked onion slice and fresh cilantro (garnish of orange slices optional). Salmon pairs great with Bush’s Texas Ranchero Grillin’ Beans. Serving size: 1 – 4oz. portion with grilled onion slice and cilantro
Serves 2 – but easily doubled or tripled for a backyard barbecue
Salmon is a great fish to grill. It’s thick, and holds together nicely with all its heart healthy omega-3 oils and protein.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 290 calories, 12g fat, 2g sat fat, 60mg cholesterol, 20g carb, 15g sugar, 24g protein