After traveling last weekend I wasn’t looking forward to coming home and packing up again. I’m not referring to just filling another suitcase, but bubble wrapping our entire apartment. Yes, we are moving! Our next trip is a one-way ticket (or I should say 2,000 mile drive) to sunny California. A great opportunity has opened up for Klint and I there. We are super excited, but currently in the “bitter-sweetness” of leaving our beloved family in the Midwest.
And did I mention the weather? Yes, I’m excited about the warm weather.
Here’s a sandwich for you all to enjoy the fresh southern California flavors and colors we are departing to. I will continue cooking and writing in my new creative atmosphere on the West Coast. So watch for new ideas and inspiration, I can’t wait to show you what I find and encounter there!
This meat-between-bread concoction was one of my husband’s favorite, and basically a whole meal in one hand-held creation. Great for summer picnics or backyard luncheons. Cut into small triangles for a shower or small bites appetizer, just insert a toothpick for easy pick up and no mess. And also sooooo easy to make!
CALIFORNIA CLUB SANDWICHES
- 1 lb CHICKEN BREASTS, BONELESS, SKINLESS
- SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- 1/2 tsp GARLIC POWDER
- 4 slices LEAN TURKEY BACON
- ¼ cup HUMMUS, ARTICHOKE & GARLIC, (RECOMMENDED ATHENOS BRAND)
- 4 slices TOMATO, HEIRLOOM OR REGULAR, (1/4″ thick)
- 2 slices RED ONION
- 1 AVOCADO, cut into 12 slices, w/o skin & seeds
- 1 cup ALFALFA SPROUTS, FRESH
- 8 slices MULTIGRAIN, SEED, OR WHEAT BREAD
1. Place turkey bacon (I cook whole package and refrigerate or freeze leftovers) on a foil lined baking sheet fitted with a wire rack. Sprinkle generously with fresh cracked, black pepper, if desired. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until crispy.
2. Pound (I use the back of a measuring cup, but a meat mallet or frying pan works all the same) chicken breasts between 2 layers of wax paper until flattened to about ¼ – 1/2″ thickness.
Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Grill on a hot indoor or outdoor grill for about 5-6 minutes per side, or until cooked through and no longer pink. Let rest on a plate covered with foil for 5-10 minutes after cooking so juices go back into meat. Then slice into thin strips.
3. Toast the 8 bread slices in the hot oven from cooking bacon. Place bread directly on the oven rack for about 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, watch carefully not to burn.
4. Layer the sandwich: place 1 T. hummus (1/2 T. on each) of 2 pieces of bread, add 4 oz. sliced chicken, 1 piece turkey bacon (halved), 1 tomato slice, onion, 3 slices avocado and 1/4 cup sprouts, top with 2nd piece of hummus spread bread. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Makes 4 sandwiches. Serve with a side of fruit or big green salad.
Don’t you just want to sink your teeth into these layers of flavor?
VARIATIONS: Use turkey breast meat for chicken, or omit altogether and add extra veggies for a vegetarian sandwich.
NUTRITION INFO PER SANDWICH: 400 calories, 13g fat, 2g sat fat, 70mg cholesterol, 36g carb, 12g fiber, 7g sugar, 36g protein