No one wants to be stuck in the kitchen while the sun is shining, grill is fired up and bocce balls are flying. Quick and easy, my fresh Blueberry & Walnut Salad provides a healthy side dish in no time. Keeping you out of the kitchen and enjoying all summer fun.
Plump blueberries add a sweet surprise to the touch-of-cinnamon vinaigrette and crunchy, toasted walnuts; you’ll be hooked at first bite. To make into a refreshing, warm weather meal just add sliced, grilled chicken breasts sprinkled with sea salt, pepper and garlic powder – so delicious!
Blueberries are phytonutrient megastars, a rich source of antioxidants and bone-healthy vitamin K. Enjoy every tasty, healthy bite. My raving endorsement: I ate this salad 3 days straight with chicken for lunch, just reserve vinaigrette and dress before eating.
BLUEBERRY & WALNUT SALAD
serves 10 as a side
- 1/4 cup APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- 2 tbsp MAPLE SYRUP, 100% PURE
- 1 tsp MUSTARD, DIJON
- 1/8-1/4 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
- 2 1/2 tbsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
- SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- 5-6 oz MIXED GREENS, OR BABY SPINACH
- 3.5 oz FETA CHEESE, REDUCED FAT, crumbled
- 1/2 cup DRIED CHERRIES
- 1/2 cup WALNUTS, chopped
- 10 oz FRESH BLUEBERRIES
1. Whisk or shake (in a jar) together vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, cinnamon, oil, salt and pepper until combined (can be made ahead).
2. Toast walnuts (optional) in a small pan over low heat, stirring occasionally not to burn, for 5-7 minutes until fragrant.
3. Toss greens, feta, dried cherries, fresh blueberries and dressing in a large bowl. Top with toasted walnuts and serve immediately. Serves 10 as a side – about 1 heaping cup salad.
VARIATIONS: Use balsamic vinegar for apple cider vinegar or dried cranberries for cherries. Chopped pecans or almonds for walnuts.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 150 calories, 9g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 15g carb, 3g fiber, 9g sugar, 4g protein