Summer is a great time to get away with using few, fresh, colorful ingredients in recipes. Here are five, super simple dishes that use wonderful combinations of seasonal produce. Enjoy!
Produce tip 1: Wash berries right before using to keep firmness, washing in advance makes soggy and less flavorful.
Produce tip 2: Choose citrus by weight and smell. The heavier the fruit, the juicier it is. And my rule of thumb with about any produce is that it should smell like what it is.
Here are 5 of my favorites:
1) Simple Salsa – fresh, tomato-ey goodness with crispy blue corn tortilla chips, or use as a topping for tacos or quesadillas.
2) California Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce – refreshing and cool, an appetizer or main plate on those hot nights when light dishes are preferred.
3) Cranberry & Pomegranate Granita with Berries – icy and delicious, dessert or snack on the patio.
4) Thai Chicken Salad – can’t ever go wrong with salads in the summer, and this one will keep things fresh by mixing it up from the regular taco and chicken caesar salad.
5) Triple Berry Tart Lemon Tart – my all time favorite dessert to make in the summer. Easy and stunning, do I need to say more or are you running to the grocery store right now to make this?
What’s your favorite summer recipe to dish up? I’d love to hear them.