Here is the dessert I promised all of you from the 60th wedding anniversary dinner I made. You gotta’ give it a try. No need to turn on the oven for dessert. Just keep your outdoor cooker fired up (might want to think about cleaning quick first if you just ate hamburgers) and brand some grill marks into any ripe fruit for a wonderful, after dinner treat.
Sort of a twist on Peach Melbas, grilling peaches brings out their natural sweetness, and warms through for a peach cobbler effect. While warm, top with golden sweet honey, cinnamon, homemade orange-almond whipped cream and crunchy almond-vanilla granola. Easy, peasy summer dessert!
The peach acts like a bowl, so set out all the toppings and let your family or guests go to work topping their own, like a healthier ice cream sundae bar.
The sky’s the limit with grilling – try pineapple, strawberries, apples, even watermelon. For a new side or dessert, skewer up a fruit salad and throw it on the grill!
Also a gluten-free dessert without the granola topping.
GRILLED PEACHES with RASPBERRY SAUCE & ALMOND WHIPPED CREAM
- 4 medium FRESH, RIPE PEACHES, unpeeled, halved, pit removed
- 1/2 LEMON, JUICED
- 1/2 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
- 4 tbsp HONEY
- 6 oz RASPBERRIES, FRESH
- 6 oz BLACKBERRIES, FRESH
- 1/4 cup CRANBERRY or POMEGRANATE 100% JUICE
- 2 tsp SUGAR
Almond Whipped Cream:
- 1/4 tsp PURE ALMOND EXTRACT*
- 1 tsp PURE VANILLA EXTRACT*
- 1 tsp ORANGE ZEST (zest of 1 orange)
- 1/4 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
- 6 oz HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
- 1 1/2 tbsp SUGAR
- 8 tsp SLICED ALMONDS
- 8 tbsp VANILLA ALMOND GRANOLA, LOWFAT (or favorite kind)
*Gluten-free: make sure your extracts are not made from grain derived alcohols. Most pure extracts are fine. Just check with the manufacturer.
1. For the peaches: Cut peaches in half around the pit, twist gently to separate and pull sides apart (pit will be embedded in one of the halves). With a teaspoon, go around and under the pit to loosen, and pull out. Drizzle fresh lemon juice over peach halves (flesh side only) and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp cinnamon, then spray with nonstick cooking spray. Grill flesh side down first, on an indoor or outdoor grill, over medium to medium-high, about 4-5 minutes per side or until tender and grill marks appear.
2. Berry Sauce: While peaches grill, heat berries in a sauce pan with juice until softened, about 5 minutes. Place warm berries in a blender or food processor with 2 tsp sugar; blend until smooth.
3. Orange-Almond Whipped Cream: Whip cold cream (in a cold bowl if possible) with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add vanilla extract, almond extract, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, orange zest and 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar (more or less to taste); continue whipping with mixer until stiff peaks form, about 5-6 minutes.
4. Assembly: Drizzle each warm peach half with 1/2 Tbsp honey and extra cinnamon if desired:
Then top with an even amount of whipped cream:
Drizzle with berry sauce and top with 1 tsp almonds and 1 Tbsp granola. Serves 8. Serving size: 1 peach half with toppings.
VARIATIONS: Use light vanilla ice cream or low fat frozen yogurt for whipped cream. Try toasted pecans or maple granola for a different crunchy topping.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 195 calories, 8g fat, 30mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 28g carb, 4g fiber, 18g sugar, 2g protein.