Zucchini isn’t reserved for savory dishes only. It adds amazing, low calorie moisture, and texture to breads and muffins. This recipe surprisingly uses no oil. Greek yogurt, applesauce, and a little real butter team up with the green shredded zuke, to keep this bread just as delicious as its 450 calorie, 20 grams of fat, unhealthy counterpart.
Baking tip: toss chocolate chips, chopped nuts or dried fruit in a little flour before adding to the batter. The small task prevents them from falling to the bottom of the pan during baking, so each piece warm from the oven has melted chocolate goodness throughout.
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD
makes 10 slices
- 1/4 cup APPLESAUCE, UNSWEETENED, natural
- 1/4 cup 100% LIQUID EGG WHITES
- 6 oz PLAIN, NONFAT GREEK YOGURT
- 4 tbsp BUTTER, REGULAR, UNSALTED, melted
- 1 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 tbsp BROWN SUGAR
- 2/3 cup SUGAR
- 1 medium ZUCCHINI W/SKIN, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
- 1/4 tsp NUTMEG, GROUND
- 1 cup WHEAT FLOUR
- 1 cup ALL PURPOSE WHITE FLOUR
- 1 tsp BAKING POWDER
- 1/2 tsp BAKING SODA
- 1/2 tsp SALT, SEA
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup CHOCOLATE CHIPS, DARK CHOCOLATE
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together egg whites, yogurt, applesauce, butter, sugars and vanilla extract. Fold in shredded zucchini with a spatula.
– the shredded zucchini (I used a metal cheese grater) –
3. Add flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and baking soda to wet ingredients; stir just until combined. Gently fold chocolate chips into batter (I freeze and toss mine in a little flour before adding to batter, keeps them from sinking to the bottom of baking pan).
4. Spray a 9 x 5″ regular loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean (If the top browns before inside is baked through, loosely cover top with a piece of foil to prevent burning). Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes. Take bread carefully out of the pan and place directly on wire rack to cool completely, or eat warm. Slice into 10 pieces and enjoy for breakfast, dessert or coffee time!
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING – WITH ½ CUP CHOCOLATE CHIPS (1 SLICE): 250 calories, 8g fat, 5g sat fat, 10mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 38g carb, 2g fiber, 18g sugar, 6g protein
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING – WITH 2/3 CUP CHOCOLATE CHIPS (1 SLICE): 275 calories, 9g fat, 6g sat fat, 12mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 41g carb, 2g fiber, 20g sugar, 6g protein