Apple pie has a bad health rap from the deep dish, buttery, high fat version. This parfait has all sweet flavors of the good ol’ fashioned treat, but slimmed down to fit into your healthy lifestyle. Great for breakfast, dessert, or anytime of the day!
Try using any favorite fruit, or a mixture of fruit (peaches, berries, mango or pineapple). Flavor yogurt with orange zest, lemon zest, almond extract, or mix a little softened, light cream cheese into the yogurt for a cheesecake treat.
A few fun combo ideas to try: cherry-almond, pineapple-coconut, peach-pecan, orange-cranberry or blueberry-lemon.
An easy, healthy party idea: make a “yogurt sundae buffet” – set out various kinds of fruit, yogurt, toppings, dishes and spoons. Let guests create their own beautiful parfait (kids will love it too)!
serves 1 (easily doubled, tripled or octupled)
- 1 medium APPLE, chopped
- 3 tbsp APPLESAUCE, UNSWEETENED
- 1/4 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND, divided
- PINCH OF NUTMEG, GROUND
- 2 tsp PURE MAPLE SYRUP, 100% or PURE HONEY (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT
- 3/4 cup YOGURT, PLAIN, LOWFAT (or GREEK YOGURT)
- 3 tsp RAISINS
- 2 tbsp GRANOLA, HONEY OAT (or other flavor)
- 1 tsp WALNUTS or PECANS, chopped
1. Chop, and then toss apple pieces in applesauce and 1/8 tsp cinnamon. Set aside.
cut all sides off apple….
3. In a large glass, bowl, or parfait dish layer 1/3 of the apple mixture, 1 tsp raisins, 1/3 of the yogurt and repeat until all ingredients have been used (will have 3 layers when complete). Top with granola and chopped nuts, if desired. Serving size: 1 parfait.and repeat layering 2 more times, then top with nuts and granola (or your favorite crunchy cereal)….
NUTRITION INFO: 310 calories, 4g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 140mg sodium, 63g carb, 7g fiber, 45g sugar, 9g protein