If making for guests, set up a fun, do-it-yourself, fajita buffet line. Place all toppings in individual serving bowls and cut vegetables and chicken before company arrives. Quickly sauté the chicken mixture close to serving time, then set out with a spread of flour tortillas and your choice of fiesta fixins’! Easy, healthy entertaining. If craving dessert, buy extra flour tortillas to make my Fruit Nachos (after the fajitas have disappeared of course).
In the words of my almost 3-year-old nephew, “Mmmm, this tastes good in my mouth!”
THE BEST CHICKEN FAJITAS
- 1 lb CHICKEN BREASTS, BONELESS, SKINLESS
- 1 large GREEN PEPPER, sliced into strips
- 1 large RED PEPPER, sliced into strips
- 1 small RED OR YELLOW ONION, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp CHILI POWDER
- 1/2 tsp CUMIN, GROUND
- 1/2 tsp GARLIC POWDER
- SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- 1 JALAPENO PEPPER, diced (optional)
- 1 tbsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
- 2-3 tbsp WATER
- 1-2 tsp CORNSTARCH
- 1/2 FRESH LIME, JUICED
- 8 WHEAT FLOUR TORTILLAS, 6 or 8-INCH (I try finding ones with 110-130 calories per tortilla)
- BLACK BEANS
- CHOPPED FRESH TOMATOES
- SLICED AVOCADO (drizzled with lime juice)
- FRESH LIME WEDGES
*Gluten-Free Option: Use rice flour tortillas for wheat, or top fajita mixture on a bed of romaine with GF blue corn chips and other desired toppings.
2. Cut all vegetables and set aside in a bowl.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Slice chicken and add to hot, oiled pan. Cook about 5-6 minutes, flipping occasionally, until outside is no longer pink. Add sliced onion, peppers, chopped jalapeno, seasoning mix and 2-3 Tbsp of water to the chicken. Cook and toss for 2-3 additional minute, stir in 1-2 tsp of cornstarch until incorporated to thicken the pan sauce. Continue sautéing until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are crisp-tender.I know I have the wrong cuisine here, but love using my wok for these!
Stir, and set aside for a few minutes for flavors to meld. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve with wheat tortillas, avocado slices, black beans and fresh chopped tomatoes. Additional topping ideas: shredded lettuce, salsa, cilantro, light sour cream or shredded cheese). Serves 4. Serving size: 2 tortillas with 1/8 of the chicken mixture on each (optional toppings not included in nutrition info below).
another easy, healthy meal for your recipe stash…
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (2 FAJITAS): 400 calories, 9g fat, 55mg cholesterol, 50g carb, 6g fiber, 6g sugar, 30g protein