Well, it has been a whirlwind of a July, now August. I honestly have a hard time remembering what day, month, year, house or geographical state I’m in. (Okay, maybe the year and state are a little easier.) It could also be effects from the myriad of paint, construction, and cleaning chemicals that have been floating through our home the past few weeks.
We are officially moved into our house, have a functioning bathroom, and family visiting for the week. Yesterday we shared a wonderful breakfast with part of Klint’s large family in our new home. Finally, we have a space to entertain more than four people and don’t have to rearrange our entire apartment to fit everyone. And yes, everyone being four people.
When cooking for a larger group (16-20) I like to serve a variety of flavors and dietary options. I chose groups of three for each dish because it seemed like a good number. You decorate in threes so why not serve food that way too. Here was my menu (quiches and pastries can be made ahead):
1) Main Dish: 3 Quiches ~ Roasted Vegetable, Greek, and Roasted Potato, Turkey Bacon and Cheddar (had to have something for the meat eaters)
3) Side 2: Three bowls of fruit (courtesy of Klint’s Aunt Lisa) and Berry Yogurt Fruit Dip
I also picked some BE-A-U-TIFUL fuchsia pink roses from the bush in our backyard….. love pairing bright pink with a sapphire and teal blue.
LOW CARB GREEK QUICHE
makes 6-8 wedges
- 2 tsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
- 1 small ONION, RED OR YELLOW, chopped
- 1 medium GREEN BELL PEPPER, chopped
- 1/4 cup TOMATO, SUN DRIED, PACKED IN OIL, chopped*
- 5 oz FRESH SPINACH, BABY, roughly chopped
- 1 clove GARLIC, minced
- 5 EGGS, LARGE
- 2 EGG WHITES, LARGE
- 3/4 cup MILK, NONFAT OR LOWFAT
- 3 tbsp PARMESAN CHEESE, freshly shredded or grated*
- 4 oz FETA CHEESE, crumbled*
- 1 tbsp FRESH BASIL, chiffonade or chopped
- 1 tsp PARSLEY, (dried or fresh chopped)
- SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
*Gluten Free Option: make sure these ingredients contain no gluten.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 1 – 2 qt baking dish or 9-inch round pan with cooking spray or olive oil. Put 2 tsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper and a little salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic, cooking 1-2 minutes longer. Pour mixture evenly into prepared baking dish and set aside.
2. Spray the same skillet just used with cooking spray and sauté spinach for 1-2 minutes, or until wilted down. Drain any excess liquid, then layer spinach and chopped sun dried tomatoes with oil over cooked onion/pepper mixture in the baking dish. Sprinkle feta and 2 tbsp parmesan cheese over the vegetables.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, parsley, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Gently pour the egg mixture evenly over the vegetables and cheeses until covered. Sprinkle top with remaining 1 tbsp parmesan cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until puffed, lightly browned and center is set. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges. Serving size: 1 wedge. Serve with toasted wholegrain bread and fruit if desired.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (1/8 OF QUICHE): 130 calories, 8g fat, 3.5 sat fat, 150mg cholesterol, 7g carb, 1g fiber, 2g sugar, 9g protein