Creamy peanut butter and rich dark chocolate have to be one of the best combinations in the world. Maybe the universe. Too far? Okay, yeah, maybe universe is a little over the top. Sometimes I do wish baby carrots and celery sticks tasted like a peanut butter cup.
Anyway, back to cookies. With school season starting soon this cookie is a great afterschool snack or lunch box treat. Makes a large batch for take-to-school treats or freeze half in a zip top bag for an anytime healthy treat. Adults will love them too.
To kick it up a notch, sandwich whipped cream, or light vanilla ice cream in between two chocolatey-peanutbuttery-granola delights and refrigerate or freeze. At 70 calories and 5g of sugar a piece, you can’t go wrong with this peanut butter chocolate combination, or feel unhealthy doing it! No added butter or oil here, and still just as delicious.
Simple ingredients, and oh’ so easy to make – great weekend activity to do by yourself or with your kids.
peanut butter-chocolate granola cookies
makes 46 small cookies
- 2 cups OATS & HONEY GRANOLA, (or favorite kind – look for a lower sugar and fat variety)
- 1 1/2 cup WHOLE WHEAT PASTRY FLOUR
- 1 tsp SALT, SEA
- 1 tsp BAKING SODA
- 1/4 cup PEANUTS or ALMONDS, chopped (optional)
- 1 EGG, large
- 1/2 cup APPLESAUCE, UNSWEETENED, natural
- 2 tbsp MILK, LOWFAT, (almond or coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup BROWN SUGAR, packed
- 1 tbsp HONEY, PURE or RAW
- 1/3 cup PEANUT or ALMOND BUTTER, CREAMY, natural, no added sugar
- 1/2 cup CHOCOLATE CHIPS, DARK CHOCOLATE
1. In a large mixing bowl combine granola, flour, salt, baking soda and chopped peanuts or almonds. Melt chocolate chips, peanut or almond butter and honey on stove top or in microwave until smooth; stir in brown sugar.
2. Add chocolate peanut butter mixture, slightly whisked egg, milk and applesauce to dry ingredients. Stir until combined and refrigerate 15-30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scoop (I used a small cookie scoop) cookie dough onto a cookie sheet in about 1″ round balls, press down slightly with back of a fork to flatten, and bake for 8-10 minutes. Makes 46 small cookies.
don’t forget to still enjoy your carrots and celery sticks too!
VARIATIONS: Add dried cherries or cranberries. Omit chocolate and sub with extra nut butter or applesauce.
NUTRITION INFO PER COOKIE: 70 calories, 2.5g fat, 0.5g sat fat, 80mg sodium, 11g carb, 1g fiber, 5g sugar, 2g protein