Five words: one pan, easy, fresh, healthy and flavorful. Lettuce wraps are a fun, yet sophisticated appetizer or main meal. A warm dish that isn’t too hot, or casserole heavy for the dog days of summer we have left.
Lean ground turkey (or sub chicken) browned with red pepper, onion, carrot, tossed in a soy-garlic sauce and topped with chopped peanuts and cucumber for crunch. Delish and perfect every time!
- 1 1/4 lb LEAN GROUND TURKEY, 93/7
- 1 tbsp OLIVE OIL
- 1/4 tsp BLACK PEPPER, GROUND
- 1 JALAPENO PEPPER, diced
- 1/2 large RED BELL PEPPER, chopped
- 1/2 cup RED ONION, chopped
- 3/4 cup CARROT, chopped
- 4 medium GREEN ONIONS, sliced, green & white parts
- 3-4 cloves GARLIC, minced
- 1 tsp SRIRACHA HOT CHILE SAUCE, (optional)*
- 3 tbsp SOY SAUCE, LOWER SODIUM*
- 1/4 cup RICE VINEGAR*
- 1 tsp MUSTARD, PREPARED, DIJON*
- 1 tsp HONEY, PURE or RAW
- 1/2 tsp GINGER, GROUND (or 1 tsp fresh minced)
- 2 tbsp BASIL, FRESH, chiffonade/sliced
- 2 tbsp FRESH CILANTRO, chopped
- 3/4 cup CUCUMBER, SEEDLESS, chopped (optional)
- 6 tsp PEANUTS, chopped (optional)*
- 12 outer-leaves ROMAINE, BIBB, or ICEBERG LETTUCE LEAVES, whole
*Gluten free option: make sure asterisk ingredients are GF.
1. In a large skillet, brown and crumble turkey in canola oil. Just before turkey is cooked through, add jalapeno, carrot, red pepper, green and red onion and black pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, until vegetables are tender-crisp.
2. Whisk together Sriracha sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, mustard, honey, ginger and garlic in a small bowl. Pour over turkey mixture; stir and simmer 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and fold in fresh basil and cilantro.
3. Serve equal amounts of turkey filling in 12 lettuce leaves of your choice. Top each with chopped cucumber and 1/2 tsp chopped peanuts, if desired. Serves 4, three filled and topped wraps per person. Optional peanut dipping sauce recipe below.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 320 calories, 15g fat, 80mg cholesterol, 16g fat, 4g fiber, 7g sugar, 32g protein
PEANUT SAUCE (optional)
- 1 tbsp PEANUT BUTTER, NATURAL, creamy or chunky
- 1 1/2 tbsp SOY SAUCE, LOWER SODIUM
- 1 tbsp HONEY
- 1/3 tsp SESAME OR OLIVE OIL
- 1 1/2 tbsp WATER
1. Heat all ingredients in a small microwave bowl, stirring frequently to not burn, until smooth. Serve with lettuce wraps, spring rolls or stir fry. Serving size: 1 tsp.
*1 tsp peanut sauce = 25 calories (not included in nutrition info above)