A no cream, butter or egg rice pudding. Yet, still deliciously rich and decadent with no fat and few calories. Oranges and cranberries are a match made in heaven. I think it’s the fresh sweetness of the citrus with a tart chewy fruit. Stir in some cinnamon and nutmeg and this is a dessert to remember.
The secret ingredient is nonfat Greek yogurt. If you prefer regular lowfat yogurt over Greek, just sub it in. Great dessert for an elegant dinner party, or down home weeknight meal. Easy to prepare and make ahead. Heck, why not have it for breakfast too.
Try other flavor combinations or top with chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds for some crunch. Stir in a little pumpkin puree, add raisins, pears or dried apricots. Or create your own rice pudding flavor, in this quick way to use up leftover rice.
Enjoy! (also a gluten-free dessert option)
ORANGE-CRANBERRY CREAMY RICE PUDDING
makes 8 servings
- 2 cups BROWN RICE, COOKED (or leftover)
- 2 cups NONFAT MILK or ALMOND MILK
- 2 cups PLAIN GREEK YOGURT, NONFAT
- 1/4 tsp SALT, SEA
- 1 1/2 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
- 1/2 cup SUGAR
- 1/4 tsp NUTMEG, GROUND
- 1 ORANGE, zested and segmented
- 2/3 cup DRIED CRANBERRIES or RAISINS
- 1/4 tsp ALMOND EXTRACT*
- 1 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT*
- 1/4 cup PURE OR RAW HONEY
*Gluten-free option: double check with manufacturers to make sure extracts are gluten-free products.
1. In a medium sauce pan heat cooked rice, milk and salt to a boil. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking 10-15 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; add cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, orange zest, extracts and cranberries. Pour into a bowl to cool.
2. Fold in yogurt and refrigerate for at least a few hours, or overnight.
3. To serve, pour cups (for a fancier look use stemless wine glasses) and top each with 1-2 tsp honey and orange segments, if desired. Serves 10, about 1/2 cup per serving.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 180 calories, 0g fat, 100mg sodium, 38g carb, 2g fiber, 24g sugar, 8g protein