Peach bread can be made year round with a bag of fresh picked, then frozen peaches from the freezer aisle. Almond and peaches are a beautiful, sweet and nutty combination. This bread will fuel you up at breakfast, and keep you satisfied. Hearty rolled oats, yogurt and peaches baked together with fragrant cinnamon and nutmeg….. delicious.
Have a piece with some fresh, seasonal fruit or side of scrambled eggs (using one egg and 2 egg whites) for a nutritious, filling morning meal. Makes 2 loaves, so you can freeze one or share it with a friend. Also, a healthy, new, baked good item for a weekend brunch.
PEACH-ALMOND & OAT BREAKFAST BREAD
makes 2 loaves (24 servings)
- 1 cup ROLLED OATS
- 2 1/2 cups NONFAT MILK or ALMOND MILK
- 2 EGGS, large
- 1/4 cup BUTTER, REGULAR, UNSALTED, softened
- 2 tbsp CANOLA OIL
- 1/2 tsp PURE ALMOND EXTRACT
- 2 tsp PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 cup NONFAT or LOWFAT GREEK YOGURT (I used nonfat)
- 3/4 cup BROWN SUGAR
- 2/3 cup SUGAR
- 2 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
- 1/2 tsp NUTMEG, GROUND
- 1/2 tsp SALT, SEA
- 2 cups WHEAT-WHITE FLOUR, (or mix 1 cup wheat/1 cup white)
- 2/3 cup WHEAT GERM
- 4 tsp BAKING POWDER
- 1 tsp BAKING SODA
- 2 cups PEACHES, chopped (fresh or frozen thawed)
- 1/3 cup ALMONDS, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9″ x 5″ bread loaf pans with canola oil cooking spray. In a large bowl soak oats in milk; set aside.
2. Cream sugars, butter, oil, spices, yogurt, extracts and eggs together in a large mixing bowl. Add milk with oats, stirring just until combined. Stir in flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Fold in peaches and chopped almonds.
3. Pour batter into prepared loaf pans (sprinkle top with a little cinnamon and sugar mixture, if desired) and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool, remove from pan, and slice each loaf into 12 slices. Serving size: 1 slice.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 170 calories, 5g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 25mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 25g carb, 2g fier, 12g sugar, 5g protein