Okay, okay I know I’ve posted a lot of sweet recipes lately, but its fall and I love using flavors of the season like pumpkin, cranberries and in this case the always seasonal chocolate. Next week I’ll try to get back on the dinner train with some soups and other savory, delicious things. But for now, this recipe will wow you!
First, I have to do the stat comparison. A typical “coffee shop” pumpkin baked good is about 470 (Starbuck’s Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin) or 590 calories, 22g fat, 53g sugar (Panera Bread’s Pumpkin Muffin). This is a good example of “junk food” in disguise, just because a product is called a muffin made with pumpkin or blueberries, a fruit smoothie, yogurt or granola cereal doesn’t mean it’s healthy. Looking deeper at the nutrition info will reveal the truth if a product is truly better for your body.
Back to the lighter side of this post. My Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins chime in at 65 calories, 2g fat, and 5g of sugar each! Omit the chocolate chips and you have an even “skinnier” flavorful treat. The pumpkin or butternut squash puree (whichever floats your boat) keep the muffins moist and tasty.
Healthy lifestyle tip: When going for coffee with a friend, colleague, or alone, buy your coffee and then stash one or two healthy baked goods in a plastic bag or container to bring with you. Try the tactic with this pumpkin recipe, my portable low fat cherry almond muffins or blueberry banana muffins.
Because it makes a large batch, as always they are easily freezable or givable. Have a great weekend and bake away healthy eaters. (And don’t forget the NEW handy, dandy printable of this recipe below!)
MINI PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
makes about 54 mini muffins or 26 regular size muffins
- 16 oz PURE PUMPKIN, canned, (or BUTTERNUT SQUASH, puree)
- 2 EGGS
- 1/4 cup AGAVE SYRUP, maple flavored or regular
- 1/2 cup SUGAR
- 4 tbsp BUTTER, REGULAR, UNSALTED, melted
- 1 1/2 cups MILK, NONFAT
- 3 cups WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
- 4 tsp BAKING POWDER
- 1/2 tsp SALT, SEA
- 3 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
- 1 tsp PUMPKIN PIE SPICE (or additional cinnamon)
- 3/4 cup MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS or DARK CHOCOLATE BAR, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line regular or mini muffin tins with cooking spray or paper liners.
2. Cream pumpkin, eggs, milk, butter, agave and sugar together until smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet; stir just until combined.
2. Scoop batter into prepared pans, filling cups 3/4 full with batter. Bake at 400 degrees, 12-15 minutes for mini size and 15-20 minutes for regular size, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Makes about 54 mini muffins and 26 regular muffins.
VARIATIONS: Substitute 100% pure maple syrup for agave. Add chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts), dried cranberries or omit chocolate and use raisins.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (1 MINI MUFFIN): 65 calories, 2g fat, 1g sat fat, 11mg cholesterol, 85g sodium, 11g carb, 1g fiber, 5g sugar, 2g protein
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (1 REGULAR MUFFIN): 138 calories, 4g fat, 3g sat fat, 23mg cholesterol, 176g sodium, 22g carb, 2g fiber, 10g sugar, 4g sugar