Healthy cooking frequently revolves around the boneless, skinless chicken breast, which don’t get me wrong I’m a huge fan. But, what about turkey? Typically the whole bird roasted at Thanksgiving or the sliced variety on a sandwich is all we see of this lean and healthy protein.
I am definitely serving this one as the main feature on my healthy Thanksgiving menu, and so much easier than mashing a huge turkey into my modest oven. No fuss or mess with the turkey breasts. Just season in the morning (leaving out salt) and refrigerate. Pop in and roast right before serving time.
Great all year round, chopped or shredded, in soups, stews, salads or other healthy dishes. Try along side, or in my Butternut Squash, Cranberry & Kale Quinoa Salad. The juicy, roasted turkey with savory herbs compliments the sweet cranberries and sautéed squash beautifully! It’s just plain out of this world delicious.
Enjoy, & allergy friendly (gluten, dairy and wheat free).
PERFECT HERB ROASTED TURKEY BREASTS
serves 8 – 4 oz portions
- 2 lbs TURKEY BREASTS, BONELESS, SKINLESS
- 1 1/2 tbsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
- 1/2 tsp BLACK PEPPER, GROUND
- 1/4 tsp SALT, SEA (add more if needed after roasting)
- 1 tsp GARLIC POWDER
- 1 1/2 tsp THYME, DRIED
- 1 1/2 tsp ROSEMARY, DRIED, chopped or crushed
- 1 1/2 tsp PARSLEY, DRIED
- 1/3 cup WATER
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13″ baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
2. Lay turkey breasts in prepared dish and rub 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil on both sides. Sprinkle garlic, herbs, salt and pepper on both sides of turkey breasts. Spray tops with cooking spray.
3. Carefully pour water in the bottom of dish to keep turkey moist. Cover with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through to an internal temperature of around 165 degrees. Remove from oven, baste with pan juices and let set, covered, for 5-10 minutes. Add salt if needed, slice turkey and serve with remaining pan juices on the side.
VARIATIONS: Chop or shred for soups, salads or other recipes. Try using fresh lemon zest with the herbs or real unsalted butter (softened) for olive oil.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 140 calories, 3.5g fat, 55mg cholesterol, 1g carb, 23g protein