I realize the weather is getting progressively colder, and Fall is full-on here, but fruit smoothies are never out of style in my book. If you are like me, when living in the Midwest I’d do anything to counter act the inevitable meteorological happenings outside. My solution, turn up that furnace and fire up your blender.
Klint and I make these as a healthy evening snack, sort of a better for you version of a shake. You could also throw in some lowfat frozen yogurt. A frozen banana and a little crunchy peanut butter are another one of our favorite combos! Great way to use up bottom of the bag frozen fruits. Make your own creation tonight, or for breakfast in the morning. Fun way to involve kids into healthy eating. And did I mention they are oh-so easy to make?
Creamy, sweet and refreshing!
KIWI & PEACH FRUIT SMOOTHIE
makes 1-2 servings
- 1/2 small FROZEN BANANA
- 1/2 cup FROZEN SLICE PEACHES, UNSWEETENED (about 6 slices)
- 1 FRESH KIWI, peeled and cut
- 1/2 cup PLAIN, NONFAT YOGURT
- 2 tsp HONEY, PURE or RAW (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup NONFAT MILK (or almond/coconut milk)
- 1/8 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender (place 1/2 cup milk in first) and blend until smooth. Serves 2 – 8 oz glasses, or 1 – 16 oz glass.
VARIATIONS: Add ground flax seed, sub Greek yogurt for regular, or use other frozen fruits.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (8 oz.): 130 calories, 0 .5g fat, 65mg sodium, 26g carb, 2g fiber, 18g sugar, 7g protein
A smaller version of what I would look like during an Iowa winter…..