Chewy, moist, pumpkin cake in hand-held cookie form, what’s not to love about this one? Yes, I boarded the pumpkin train yet again. I just can’t pass up those cans of orange pureed goodness stacked at the end of the grocery aisles this time of year.
To make these sweet treats even more loveable, top with my orange-maple cream cheese spread or a drizzle of melted dark chocolate. Try tossing in some raisins, dried cherries or chopped pecans into the dough before baking. A crowd pleaser made healthy.
My mom used to make these with raisins, then left to my sister and I to down them like popcorn at a movie. Great fall snack, or dessert remix of the traditional Thanksgiving pumpkin pie. Typically, these little gems are made with about 2-3 cups of sugar and 1 cup of oil. Mine are “slimmed down” with the use of plain yogurt and unsweetened applesauce. Just as delicious!
These are so wonderful for 3 other reasons: 1) Inexpensive to make, 2) Bake a large batch for freezing or to give away, 3) You can eat 3 for fewer calories than a slice of pumpkin pie. Now that’s a dessert!
PUMPKIN CAKE COOKIES
makes 80 small cookies
- 15 oz PURE PUMPKIN, canned
- 1 cup PLAIN NONFAT YOGURT
- 3/4 cup APPLESAUCE, UNSWEETENED
- 1/2 cup BROWN SUGAR
- 1/2 cup SUGAR
- 1/2 cup MAPLE SYRUP, 100% PURE
- 1/4 cup BUTTER, REGULAR, UNSALTED, melted
- 2 tsp CINNAMON,GROUND
- 1 tsp PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
- 2 tsp PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1/3 cup EGG WHITES,100% LIQUID PURE EGG WHITES (or 4 egg whites)
- 1/4 cup 100% PURE ORANGE JUICE, not from concentrate
- 2 tsp BAKING POWDER
- 2 tsp BAKING SODA
- 1/2 tsp SALT, SEA
- 3 cups WHEAT-WHITE FLOUR
- 1 cup WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together 1 c. yogurt, 3/4 c. applesauce, 1/4 c. melted butter, 1/2 c. maple syrup, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/2 c. white sugar, 2 t. vanilla extract, 1/4 c. orange juice, 1 can pumpkin, 1/3 c. egg whites, 2 t. cinnamon and 1 t. pumpkin pie spice.
3. Add dry ingredients (3 cups wheat-white flour, 1 cup wheat flour, 2 t. baking powder,1/2 t. sea salt, 2 t. baking soda) to wet ingredients. Stir just until combined. Place small spoonfuls of dough onto prepared baking pans. Bake for 10-12 minutes, in batches. Let cool and top with cream cheese spread or melted, dark chocolate drizzle (recipes below). Makes 80 small cookies (freeze well without toppings).
VARIATIONS: Add raisins, dried cranberries, chocolate chips, chopped pecans or walnuts to dough before baking.
MAPLE-ORANGE CREAM CHEESE SPREAD
- 2 – 8 oz pkg REDUCED FAT CREAM CHEESE, NEUFANTCHEL, softened
- 1/4 cup 100% PURE MAPLE SYRUP or HONEY (more or less to taste)
- ZEST OF 2 ORANGES
Mix all ingredients together with an electric blender until smooth and creamy. Frost cookies with a small amount (about 1-2 tsp each).
DARK CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE
- 6 oz DARK CHOCOLATE CHIPS or BAR (chopped)
Melt chocolate and drizzle over each cookie.
NUTRITION INFO PER COOKIE (w/out toppings): 45 calories, 0.5g fat, 9g carb, 4g sugar, 1g protein
NUTRITION INFO PER COOKIE (w/ cream cheese spread): 65 calories, 2g fat, 6mg cholesterol, 10g carb, 1g fiber, 5g sugar, 2g protein
NUTRITION INFO PER COOKIE (w/ chocolate drizzle): 76 calories, 3g fat, 2mg cholesterol, 11g carb, 1g fiber, 5g sugar, 1g protein
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens, Melt-In-Your-Mouth Pumpkin Cookies recipe.