Chili, gooey cinnamon rolls and canned peaches bring me right back to that tiny cafeteria in elementary school. It’s funny how you can be conditioned by food combinations at such an early age. The slightest smell of chili powder and cinnamon transports me back to the sixth grade.
This isn’t any ordinary grade school chili. Why you ask? Because it’s loaded with fresh, healthy ingredients like sweet potato, corn and three kinds of beans. Filling and will quickly serve a crowd. Try it with leftover shredded turkey or chicken from Thanksgiving. An excellent slow cooker adapted recipe as well.
Bake up some of my Rosemary Cornbread Muffins or Pumpkin Bread to serve alongside. An easy dinner or lunch to feed all family visiting next weekend. Or pour a steamy bowl and put your feet up after an early morning, black Friday shopping extravaganza.
Even better the next day, and just happens to be gluten-free too.
TURKEY, THREE BEAN VEGETABLE CHILI
- 1/2 tbsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
- 1/2 medium ONION, chopped
- 3 cloves GARLIC, (minced)
- 16 oz LEAN GROUND TURKEY, 93/7
- 1 large GREEN BELL PEPPER, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups SWEET POTATO, peeled, cubed
- 1 JALAPENO PEPPER, diced (optional)
- SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- 1/4 cup CHILI POWDER, (more or less to taste)
- 2 tbsp CUMIN, GROUND
- 1/2 tbsp OREGANO, dried
- 42.5 oz TOMATO, DICED WITH JUICE, NO ADDED SALT
- 6 cups 100% TOMATO JUICE, LOW SODIUM
- 1 cup WATER
- 2 BAY LEAVES, dried
- 2 cups CORN, frozen
- 15 oz can BLACK BEANS, rinsed & drained
- 15 oz can PINTO BEANS, rinsed & drained
- 15 oz can KIDNEY BEANS, drained and rinsed
1. Spray a large soup pot with cooking spray. Add olive oil, onion and cook over medium heat for a few minutes to soften. Stir in garlic and ground turkey; cook for 6-8 minutes or until turkey just starts to brown.
2. Add sweet potato, green pepper, jalapeno, salt and black pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes to soften vegetables. Stir in 1/4 c. ground chili powder (or to taste), 1/2 T. dried oregano and 2 T. ground cumin. Add tomatoes with liquid, tomato juice, water, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Cover and cook for 25-30 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low and add beans and frozen corn, simmer for 15-20 additional minutes. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley. Serve with a side of cornbread muffins or cornbread croutons. Serving size: about 1 3/4 cup soup.
VARIATIONS: Add any vegetables (chopped carrots, zucchini, spinach) or other beans (garbanzo, northern or Cannellini). Try with cooked, shredded turkey or chicken breasts, or lean ground beef (93/7 or higher).
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 270 calories, 4.5g fat, 20mg cholesterol, 42g carb, 11g fiber, 12g sugar, 17g protein
Print Recipe – Full Page