Thanksgiving was a healthy feast at our house. My 3-year-old nephew Eli helped peel butternut squash, snap green beans and pick fresh rosemary (his personal favorite). He was known as the “herb guy” after our morning of cooking. As we picked fresh seasonings he liberally tasted the parsley, thyme, chives and rosemary exclaiming in his little kid voice, “I like rosemary, I like parsley, I live chives!” Oh, is he a kid after my own heart.
Our menu consisted of an organic roasted herb turkey breast and herb lemon chicken breasts, roasted rosemary red potatoes, sautéed green beans with toasted almonds, kale butternut squash & dried cranberry quinoa salad, zucchini sausage boats and orange-maple pumpkin custards for dessert (recipe to come later).
Our table set and ready…..
Couldn’t resist the 99 cent sale my local World Market was having before Thanksgiving – colorful fabric napkins & glass stemware…..
Eli’s place setting…..
My $16 arrangement I made from fresh bundles at the super market…..
I had various helpers in the kitchen on Thursday and it was wonderful. Here is my plate a little ways in…..
These little low carb packages are filled with turkey sausage, carrots and light cream cheese, then baked in a hollowed out zucchini until golden brown and de-lish-ous. Not just a great Thanksgiving recipe but holiday appetizer, side or all year round treat.
Well, my mom and I just set up my Christmas tree and then I have to say good-bye to my family tomorrow. Hope you all had a great long weekend.
Zucchini Sausage Boats
makes 6 or 12 servings
- 3 medium ZUCCHINI
- 12 oz LEAN TURKEY SAUSAGE
- 4 oz CREAM CHEESE, NEUFCHATEL, REDUCED FAT, softened
- 1/4 cup SOUR CREAM, REDUCED FAT
- 1/3 cup CHEDDAR CHEESE, REDUCED FAT, natural
- 1/2 tsp GARLIC POWDER
- 1/3 cup CARROT, diced
- 1/3 cup ONION, diced
- SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- 1 tbsp FRESH PARSLEY & CHIVES, chopped, (or to taste)
1. Shred the cheddar cheese. Combine 4 oz softened cream cheese, 1/4 c. sour cream, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and shredded cheddar until well incorporated.
2. Sauté 1/3 c. diced onion, 1/3 cup diced carrot and 12 ounces turkey sausage in a large skillet with 1 tsp olive oil just until browned.
3. Combine cheese mixture with sausage mixture and fresh herbs, set aside.
4. Trim ends off each zucchini and halve vertically. With a small spoon hollow out each zucchini half, removing inner flesh with seeds leaving about 1/4″ flesh and skin.
5. Place hollow zucchini in a cooking sprayed 11″ x 7″ baking dish, flesh side up. Season insides with salt and pepper and fill each with equal amounts of the sausage and cheese mixture. Sprinkle tops with fresh shredded parmesan and dried parsley if desired. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown. Cut each stuffed “boat” in half horizontally and serve as a side or appetizer (12 servings) or keep whole for 6 larger servings.
VARIATIONS: Add chopped broccoli, green or red pepper or other vegetables.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (12 servings): 100 calories, 6g fat, 3 sat fat, 35mg cholesterol, 4g carb, 2g sugar, 7g protein