One winter a few years ago my sister Chrystal and I took a fun girls’ weekend away in Chicago. We got a hotel downtown, went to an amazing Italian restaurant, shopping and on Saturday morning we had the best, most creative breakfast. My lifelong friend said we had to go to the Corner Bakery Café for coffee and our day break meal. She suggested the Chilled Swiss oatmeal, so we ordered one to share along with some other baked goods.
In the middle of winter I would never think of eating “chilled” oatmeal but it was excellent, healthy and so filling. So, when I returned home I went on a mission to come up with a similar recipe. Here is where I landed. I made a huge batch of this when my family was here for the holiday. It’s so easy because most of the “work” is ahead at night and then it “does its thang” in the fridge overnight. So easy and so good!
Stir in the fresh fruit and nuts in the morning. I sat out fresh blackberries, organic milk and pure honey as extra toppings. My husband isn’t a cold oatmeal kind of guy, so he heats his up with a little extra milk.
Gluten-free eaters sub GF oats (if not too sensitive) for the rolled.
Great relaxed weekend, or busy weekday breakfast. Hearty – Tasty – Healthy!
CHILLED FRUIT & NUT OATMEAL
- 1 cup OATS, ROLLED
- 1 1/3 cup MILK, NONFAT (or coconut or almond milk)
- 1 cup PLAIN YOGURT, LOWFAT (or Greek Yogurt – may need extra milk if using)
- 1/2 – 3/4 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND & PINCH OF NUTMEG, (more or less to taste)
- 4 APRICOTS, DRIED, chopped
- 1/4 cup CRANBERRIES, DRIED
- 2 tbsp HONEY, PURE or RAW
- 1 medium GRANNY SMITH APPLE W/SKIN, chopped (or other variety)
- 1 small BANANA, sliced
- 2 tbsp WALNUTS, chopped
- 12 WHOLE ALMONDS, chopped
- 2 tbsp SUGAR, STEVIA or XYLITOL, (optional or to taste)
1. Stir together 1 c. rolled oats, 1 1/3 c. milk, 1 c. yogurt, 1/2-3/4 t. cinnamon & pinch nutmeg, 1/4 c. dried cranberries, 4 chopped dried apricots and 2 T. honey in a large bowl, covered, overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients: 1 chopped apple, 1 sliced banana, 2 T. chopped walnuts and 12 chopped almonds in the morning. (If consistency is too thick add more milk.) Taste, and stir in 2 T. sugar or sweetener if desired.
Enjoy chilled or warmed, top with fresh berries or fruit if desired. Serves 4, serving size about 3/4-1 cup oatmeal.
Variation: Use raisins, dried cherries or pecans.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 320 calories, 6g fat, 0.5g sat fat, 75mg sodium, 55g carb, 5g fiber, 34g sugar, 14g protein