Soup doesn’t get any easier than this. The slow cooker does all the flavorsome work (I mentioned last week I rediscovered this small kitchen appliance as my new best friend). Just open the lid and add ingredients as needed. This dish is so good I’ve made it four times in the last 3 weeks.
We had some friends over this past Friday night and guess what was on the menu? Yep, Chicken Tortilla Soup ~ so simple but elegant with beautiful toppings like fresh avocado and blue corn tortilla chips. I served a side of mini cornbread muffins with pure golden honey, a southwest layered salad with yogurt chipotle dressing and large bowl of organic blue corn tortilla chips. Filling. Warm. Healthy. Delicious.
I let everyone dish up their own soup “buffet style” right out of the crock pot and add toppings at their leisure. Soup is an exciting and unexpected main dish to serve at a dinner party. As the host I love this recipe because you don’t have to time things into and out of the oven, maintain correct serving temperature or plate to serve.
that’s a crock pot of goodness…..
EASY CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- 1 lb CHICKEN BREASTS, BONELESS, SKINLESS (about 4 – 4 oz breasts)
- 1 1/2 tsp CHILI POWDER
- 1 1/2 tsp CUMIN, GROUND
- 1 tsp PAPRIKA, GROUND
- 1/2 tsp OREGANO, DRIED
- SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- 32 oz CHICKEN BROTH, LOW SODIUM*
- 3 cloves GARLIC, minced (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 2 tbsp TOMATO PASTE, 100% PURE
- 28 oz DICED TOMATOES WITH JUICE, canned
- 7 oz GREEN CHILES, CHOPPED, canned
- 1 cup RED or YELLOW ONION, chopped
- 15 oz can PINTO BEANS, LOW SODIUM, rinsed & drained
- 15 oz can BLACK BEANS, LOW SODIUM, rinsed & drained
- 3 cups FROZEN CORN
- 1/2 cup FRESH CILANTRO, chopped (more or less to taste)
- AVOCADOS (chopped in fresh lime juice)
- LIGHT SOUR CREAM
- HOT SAUCE
- REDUCED-FAT, FRESH SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE
- CORN TORTILLA CHIPS
*Gluten-free & dairy free option: Use organic GF chicken broth.
1. Spray a large crock pot (or soup pot) with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl mix together 1 1/2 t. chili powder, 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1 t. ground paprika, 1/2 t. dried oregano, dash of sea salt and pepper. Add chicken breasts to the prepared pot and sprinkle tops with half the seasoning mix. Add about 1/2 cup chicken broth to just cover bottom of cooking vessel and keep chicken moist. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
2. Shred the chicken into bite sized pieces, add 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juices, remaining seasoning mix, 1 c. chopped onion, 3 minced garlic cloves, 7 oz can chopped green chiles, remaining 32 oz chicken broth and 2 T. tomato paste. Continue cooking on low for 1 to 3 hours.
3. Stir in 3 c. frozen corn, 15 oz black beans and 15 oz pinto beans. Let cook on low for 30 min to 1 hour.
4. Add fresh chopped cilantro, sea salt and pepper if needed before serving. Serves 10, about 1 ½ c. servings. Top with optional fresh chopped avocado drizzled with fresh lime juice, corn tortilla chips, light sour cream, hot sauce or reduced-fat fresh shredded cheddar cheese.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (serving 10): 200 calories, 2g fat, 30mg cholesterol, 31g carb, 8g fiber, 7g sugar, 17g protein