Stir fry is an easy, throw together, complete meal. Just add lean protein, vegetables, tasty sauce and top it on a whole grain (like brown rice here or quinoa). I love this one because it hits taste buds all over the tongue, the sweet, the spicy, the sour…. oh, so good.
Feel free to add any variety of vegetable or veggie combo you desire. I had a large bag of organic frozen broccoli in my freezer, this dish is great to use up any extra frozen, or fresh produce on hand.
The fresh cilantro and touch of sesame oil adds a nice twist to the otherwise just plain steamed brown rice. Money saving tip: check the bulk bins at your grocery store for brown rice, it often costs less and you can purchase just the amount needed for a recipe. For time saving, use instant or quick cooking brown rice.
Pick some shrimp up on your way home and easily create this delicious dinner tonight. Gluten-free options below.
SWEET & SPICY SESAME SHRIMP STIR FRY
Cilantro Brown Rice:
- 1 cup BROWN BASMATI or REGULAR BROWN RICE
- 2 cups WATER
- 1/4 tsp SALT, SEA
- 1 tsp SESAME OIL
- 1/2 cup FRESH CILANTRO, chopped
Shrimp Stir Fry & Sauce:
- 2 tsp SESAME OIL
- 1/2 lb LARGE SHRIMP, peeled, deveined, halved (wild, not farm raised if possible)
- 1/2 cup RICE VINEGAR*
- 2 tbsp KETCHUP*
- 2 tsp SOY SAUCE, LOWER SODIUM*
- 1 tbsp PURE or RAW HONEY
- 1/4 cup BROWN SUGAR
- 1-2 tsp SRIRACHA HOT CHILI SAUCE, (optional or to taste)
- 2 tsp FRESH GINGER, minced (or 1 tsp dried ground ginger)
- 3 cloves GARLIC, minced (or 3/4 tsp garlic powder)
- SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- 1 tbsp CORNSTARCH
- 1/4 cup WATER
- 16 oz BROCCOLI FLOWERETS, frozen thawed or fresh
- 2 tsp SESAME SEEDS (optional for topping)
*Gluten-free option: make sure your * ingredients are GF
1. For the cilantro rice: In a small sauce pan heat 2 c. water to a boil. Stir in 1/4 t. salt and 1 c. brown rice, cover and let cook on medium for 15-20 minutes, stir and cook on low for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, then stir in 1 t. sesame oil and 1/2 to 2/3 c. fresh chopped cilantro.
2. Heat 2 t. sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add prepared shrimp and sauté a few minutes until pink in color and cooked through. Remove shrimp from pan and add (without cleaning) 1/2 c. rice vinegar, 2 T. ketchup, 2 t. soy sauce, 1 T. honey, 1/4 c. brown sugar, 1-2 t. Sriracha Chili Sauce, 2 t. minced ginger and 3 cloves minced garlic. Stir 1 T. cornstarch into 1/4 c. warm water until dissolved, then whisk mixture into pan sauce and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low, continue whisking, until sauce has thickened.
3. Add cooked shrimp and thawed or fresh broccoli to sauce. Heat for 5-10 minutes (add sea salt and pepper if needed) then serve over hot cilantro rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and additional fresh chopped cilantro if desired. Serves 4, about 1 2/3 cup servings of stir fry.
VARIATIONS: Use chopped or shredded chicken for shrimp. Add any variety of vegetable.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 400 calories, 6g fat, 1g sat fat, 85mg cholesterol, 68g carb, 2g fiber, 22g sugar, 19g protein