Yes, I’ve developed somewhat of a problem this year… I can’t stop making homemade gifts (it could also be my new extremely short haircut which is causing my cloudy perception – who knows). The traditional gift in a jar is seen in every classroom, workplace and holiday party this time of year. I love the look and idea which inspired me to make a healthy twist on a classic.
Blueberries and pecans are a current combination trend with my taste buds. I’m doing it with oatmeal, bars and here it is with pancakes. Not typically seen together, but oh-so delicious. In addition to the antioxidant packed blueberries and healthy fat pecans, nutrition benefits carry on with the whole wheat pastry flour.
This one is really easy. So simple I did it with my eyes closed, hands tied, and after taking allergy medication (that stuff always gets me). Okay, so none of that is true, except the effortless part. You can still whip up a few as last minute gifts. I topped mine with a piece of natural burlap, ribbon and tag with preparation instructions. To wrap with the jar I found these really cute mini bottles of pure maple syrup at Target.
Another way to give cheerfully, and healthy during the holiday. Mmmmm, dark chocolate chips for the blueberries? And don’t forget to make some for yourself… Light and fluffy Christmas morning pancakes anyone?
BLUEBERRY-PECAN PANCAKE MIX
• 1 1/2 cups WHOLE WHEAT PASTRY FLOUR
• 1/2 cup BLUEBERRIES, DRIED
• 1/2 cup PECANS, chopped
• 2 tbsp SUGAR
• 1 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
• 1/2 tsp SALT, SEA
• 2 tsp BAKING POWDER
1. To make in a jar for gifts: combine 1 1/2 cups flour with 1 t. cinnamon, 1/2 t. salt, 2 t. baking powder and 2 T. sugar. Pour flour mixture into the bottom of a large mason jar.
2. Add 1/2 c. dried blueberries and 1/2 c. chopped pecans. Top with screw top lid and cover with burlap and ribbon.
3. To prepare: whisk together 2 large eggs, 1 1/2 c. low fat milk (or dairy free vanilla almond milk) and 2 T. canola oil and add to pancake mix; stir just until combined. Pour 1/4 cup batter for each cake onto a hot cooking sprayed griddle or skillet. Makes 8 servings, 2 pancakes per serving.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (2 prepared pancakes): 240 calories, 10g fat, 1g sat fat, 56mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 31g carb, 5g fiber, 9g sugar, 6g protein