The second January remake… good ol’ chicken strips and French fries. This staple is “healthified” by crusting lean chicken breasts in egg whites, crushed buttery pecans & wheat germ and vitamin-A bursting sweet potatoes are tossed with heart healthy olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Both baked until crisp and delicious.
Only 7 simple ingredients plus sea salt and pepper, and you’ve got a tasty healthy meal for any age diner. Healthy tip #2: friends don’t let friends use fryers (bake don’t fry). I know this tip is straightforward but really works and doesn’t sacrifice flavor. The only thing lost is oil dripping calories and fat. Give it a go and you’ll never return to the plastic freezer bag chicken strips and French fries again.
Gluten-free eaters just omit the wheat germ and add ground flax seed or almonds. Not a sweet potato fan? Sub regular russet potatoes for sweet, but I think you’re gonna’ love the rich tasting orange spud in this dish. If possible use organic sweet potatoes, they are worth the little extra green from your wallet and have more flavor, but a commercial variety will work fine too. I also served Annie’s brand light honey mustard dressing on the side.
Chicken strips and french fries for under 400 calories… who says you can’t keep those new year’s resolutions and still enjoy your food?
PECAN CRUSTED CHICKEN STRIPS & SWEET POTATO FRIES
• 1 lb CHICKEN BREASTS
• 1 cup PECAN HALVES
• 1/4 cup WHEAT GERM
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
• 1/4 tsp GARLIC POWDER
• 1 cup 100% LIQUID EGG WHITES
• 2 medium SWEET POTATOES, peeled & cut into match sticks
• 1 tbsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a metal cooking rack fitted inside a large rimmed baking sheet (line baking sheet with foil for easy clean up).
2. In a food processor or blender pulse pecan halves into fine crumbs. Place crushed pecans in a shallow dish with 1/4 c. wheat germ, salt, pepper and 1/4 t. garlic powder, toss to combine. Pour 1 c. liquid egg whites into a separate shallow dish and set aside.
3. Cut chicken breasts into 8 tenders or strips, about 2 oz each. Dip each in egg whites and pecan crumb mixture gently pressing crumbs to cover and adhere to chicken. Carefully shake off excess crumbs and place onto the rack prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
4. Toss cut sweet potatoes in 1 T. olive oil, sea salt and pepper on a cooking sprayed rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 20-25 minutes (flip half way through cooking time) or until browned and crisp. Serving size: 2 chicken strips and ¼ of French fry recipe (1/2 a potato). Serve with a side of light honey mustard, ketchup or bbq sauce.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 365 calories, 12g fat, 1g sat fat, 15g carb, 6g fiber, 5g sugar, 28g protein