I’ve been wanting to make these little presents for some time now and just got around to rolling them up yesterday. I decided to go with a classic combination of spinach, chicken and sun-dried tomatoes, but you could go wild with an abundance of flavor combinations. Here are some others I thought would be delish…..
veggie style – spinach/mushroom/shredded carrot or zucchini
meat people – turkey sausage/green pepper/red onion
dinner party – roasted red pepper/spinach/basil pesto/feta for parmesan
These look fancy but are really a no fuss recipe. Great one to bring your kids into the kitchen to help fill and roll up the lasagna bundles. It makes a large batch for a big dinner party crowd or to freeze a second pan for a quick weeknight meal.
Serve these tasty bites up with a big, fresh green salad (try my Tortellini Artichoke & Tomato Salad with Creamy Parmesan Dressing or Blueberry & Walnut Salad) and it’s a meal. Bon Appétit!
Gluten free adaptations below.
Chicken & Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
makes 18 roll ups
• 16 oz LASAGNA PASTA, WHEAT (18 sheets)*
• 15 oz RICOTTA CHEESE, LIGHT *
• 16 oz COTTAGE CHEESE, LOWFAT*
• 16 oz SPINACH, CHOPPED, FROZEN (thawed and water squeezed out)
• 1/4 cup PARMESAN CHEESE, fresh, grated
• 1 EGG, lightly beaten
• 1/2 tsp ITALIAN SEASONING
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
• 1 lb CHICKEN BREASTS, cooked, shredded
• 3 oz SUN DRIED TOMATOES, Julienne, not packed in oil
• 3/4 tsp GARLIC POWDER
• 2- 25 oz jars TOMATO & BASIL MARINARA SAUCE (or favorite kind)
• 1 cup MOZZARELLA CHEESE, SHREDDED, low moisture part-skim
*Gluten free option: Use brown rice or other GF lasagna noodle (rinse with very cold water after boiling).Double check your cheeses for added gluten containing ingredients or stabilizers.
1. Boil a large pot of water. Season water with sea salt and add lasagna noodles (may need to in batches) and cook until softened to al dente (still slightly firm) about 5-7 minutes. Remove from water and spray with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl mix together ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, 1/4 c. parmesan cheese, 1 egg, 1/2 t. Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and thawed chopped spinach.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large baking dish (or 2 -9 x 13″) with cooking spray.
4. On a large cutting board (may want to cover with wax or parchment paper) layout cooked lasagna noodle, spread with about 3-4 T. spinach/cheese mixture, then layer sun-dried tomatoes, cooked shredded chicken** and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Roll up jelly roll style and place seam side down in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
5. Spoon basil marinara sauce over all roll ups, making sure pasta is covered, then sprinkle tops evenly with 3/4 t. garlic powder and shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through (noodles softened and cheese melted). Serve with fresh shredded parmesan cheese if desired. Makes 18 roll-ups. Serving size: 1 roll with sauce.
**Bake chicken in a covered baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray, for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through, shred with forks or use leftover chicken or store-bought rotisserie white meat (skin removed).
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 230 calories, 4g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 40mg cholesterol, 31g carb, 6g fiber, 11g sugar, 19g protein