A take out classic here. The sweet and sour combination is delicious when made with pure, whole, fresh ingredients and no preservatives – takes it to a whole new level. It will really change your life. (Okay, maybe not that extreme, but you get that it’s good, real good.) Why opt for high sodium, MSG laden to-go meals in Styrofoam boxes when you can make the same dish quickly in your own home?
Fresh, sweet pineapple chunks are tossed with savory sautéed onions and peppers, then all coated in a warm garlic- ginger honey stir fry sauce. I used lean pork chops but feel free to substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts or shrimp would be excellent too. For a little kick of heat add the red pepper flake to your sauce. So delicious and super simple, great weeknight or weekend meal the whole family will love.
Sweet & Sour Pork Stir Fry
(gluten free & dairy free recipe)
• 1 medium YELLOW ONION, cut into chunks
• 2 large GREEN PEPPER, cut into chunks
• 2 large RED PEPPER, cut into chunks
• 2 cups FRESH PINEAPPLE, chopped
• 2 tsp GINGER, FRESH, minced (or 1 tsp dried ground)
• 2 cloves GARLIC, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
• 1/4 tsp RED PEPPER FLAKE (optional)
• 1/4 cup SOY SAUCE, LOWER SODIUM *
• 3 tbsp RICE VINEGAR *
• 1/4 cup PURE or RAW HONEY (or AGAVE)
• 3 tsp PURE CORNSTARCH
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
• 1 tsp CANOLA OIL
• 2 tbsp WHITE-WHEAT FLOUR *
• 1 1/4 lbs LEAN, CENTER CUT BONELESS PORK CHOPS, cut into 1″ pieces
• 2-3 tbsp FRESH CILANTRO, chopped (optional)
*Gluten free options: Use wheat free tamari soy sauce or liquid aminos, omit flour or substitute brown rice flour, make sure your vinegar isn’t derived or processed with wheat/gluten products.
1. Spray a large wok or skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium high heat. Sauté onion, green and red peppers until crisp-tender and starting to caramelize; about 5-6 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. In a zip top bag or container with lid add 2 T. flour, all pork pieces and a little sea salt and pepper. Seal and shake until pork is lightly coated (if gluten free skip this step). Add prepared pork to heated wok with 1 tsp canola oil. Cook until pork is browned and almost cooked through. Add cooked vegetables and reduce heat.
3. Whisk together 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup honey or agave, 2 t. fresh minced ginger, 1/4 t. red pepper flake (optional), 2-3 minced garlic cloves, 3 T. rice vinegar and 3 T. cornstarch. Add sauce to pan with meat and vegetables, toss to coat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes on low heat.
4. Serve stir fry over steamed brown rice, top with cilantro if desired and serve. Serving size is about 1 1/4 cups stir fry (brown rice not included).
VARIATIONS: Use chicken breasts for pork.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (rice not included): 290 calories, 10g fat, 3.5g sat fat, 50mg cholesterol, 32g carb, 3g fiber, 20g sugar, 20g protein