When growing up, all potlucks, barbecues, you name it typically displayed a vegetable pizza. A large baking sheet of rolled out crescent tube bread, baked and topped with a full-fat cream cheese mixture and fresh vegetables (always broccoli, red pepper and carrot in my town). At the time I thought this was the healthy option in the line up. Which totally could have been true considering it was sandwiched between the mushroom gravy swiss steak and fried chicken, but looking back the fresh vegetables camouflaged the layers of unhealthiness below.
My vegetable pizza is lightened up with a thin baked crispy tortilla topped with creamy garlic hummus and tons of fresh vegetables. This recipe is a great way to use up extra fresh veg in the crisper drawer. Inspiration came from leftover produce I had from a recent cooking class. And don’t forget the red pepper flake, it adds a little spice and amazing flavor (feel free to use any herbs, herb mixes or spices you like).
You won’t believe how quick this whips up. I made it for lunch several days this week it was so delicious, filling and easy to prepare. In about ten minutes you’ll be fueling your body for the remainder of your afternoon. Cut pizza into smaller triangles for a simple, beautiful and healthy appetizer. So stunning and tasty!
Fresh Veggie Hummus Pizza
serves 1 (easily multiplied)
• 1 WHEAT OR BROWN RICE TORTILLA (around 130 calories or less)*
• 1/4 cup GARLIC HUMMUS(or favorite flavor)*
• 2 tbsp RED ONION, chopped
• 6 CHERRY TOMATOES, halved
• 6 strips RED BELL PEPPER, halved
• 1 cup SPRING MIX or BABY SPINACH
• 1/4 cup CARROT, SHREDDED
• 1/2 cup SEEDLESS CUCUMBER, chopped
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
• 1/8 tsp RED PEPPER FLAKE (optional or to taste)
*Gluten free option: Use brown rice or other GF tortilla and GF brand hummus.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place tortilla on a cooking sprayed pizza pan and bake for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy.
2. Spread hummus evenly onto baked crust. Top with fresh vegetables, sea salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Serves 1.
VARIATIONS: Use any favorite vegetables or roasted vegetables as toppings. Add crumbled feta cheese, shredded chicken or fresh herbs like basil and parsley.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 350 calories, 9g fat, 1g sat fat, 55g carb, 8g fiber, 5g sugar, 12g protein