Quinoa for breakfast? Absolutely! This ancient grain-like seed can be cooked with coconut or almond milk to form a creamy hot cereal packed with protein, essential vitamins and nutrients. The sweet flavors in this recipe come from warm spices like cinnamon, chewy raisins and pure vanilla extract. I love the spice flavor, so be your own chef and add more or less to your taste preference.
I made this cereal the day before and reheated in the morning with a little extra coconut milk, unsweetened shredded coconut and frozen wild blueberries. You could also try topping with Greek yogurt, fresh fruit, chopped nuts or ground flaxseed. This is a hearty breakfast dish, 1 1/4 cups is under 300 delicious and filling calories.
I adapted this one from EatingWell’s March magazine issue that feature this super food we call quinoa.
Creamy Raisin & Spice Breakfast Quinoa
gluten & dairy free recipe
• 3/4 cup WHOLE GRAIN QUINOA
• 1 1/2 cups UNSWEETENED COCONUT, ALMOND or NONFAT MILK*
• 1/2 cup WATER
• 1 1/2 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
• 1/4 tsp NUTMEG, GROUND
• 1/8 tsp GINGER, GROUND
• 1/8 tsp SALT, SEA
• 1/2 tsp PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
• 1/4 tsp PURE ALMOND EXTRACT (optional)
• 1 large EGG WHITE
• 1/4 cup RAISINS, CRANBERRIES or CURRENTS
• 2-3 PACKETS STEVIA (or 2 T. PURE HONEY)
*Gluten free option: Use GF coconut or almond milk (I used So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage) or regular cow’s milk is GF.
1. In a mesh strainer rinse and drain quinoa. Heat a saucepan over medium heat and toast quinoa 2-3 minutes, stirring, until fragrant. Add milk, water, all spices (add more or less to taste) and salt. Heat to a boil then simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes until liquid is almost absorbed.
2. Turn off heat and whisk 1 T. of hot quinoa with egg white. Continue whisking while adding one tablespoon at a time until 5 T. of hot cereal have been added. Stir quinoa egg white mixture back into large batch of cereal along with raisins, vanilla extract, almond extract and Stevia (or honey). Serve warm or cold with extra milk and honey or pure maple syrup if desired. Refrigerate covered tightly for 1-2 days, reheat or eat chilled. Serves 2, about 1 1/4 c. per serving.
VARIATIONS: Add orange zest, ground flaxseed, almond butter, a little real unsalted butter, shredded coconut, chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts) or top with fresh fruit and Greek yogurt to serve.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (calculated using coconut milk and Stevia): 290 calories, 7g fat, 4g sat fat, 50g carb, 5g fiber, 11g sugar, 10g protein
(Recipe adapted from Eating Well Magazine, March 2013 Issue)