I really don’t know where to start, or how to describe these delicious, decadent goodies. You will never, ever, ever, in your wildest dreams guess they are gluten and dairy free. No processed sugars or artificial ingredients either. Just pure, how God made them honest ingredients. AND they taste like carrot cake! Could you really get any better than that? Well, maybe some cream cheese frosting, but we won’t go there today.
These baked goods are moist, sweet and so, so healthy. Fresh shredded carrot, pure maple syrup or honey, chewy raisins and warm cinnamon spice….ahhhh, I had one warmed muffin for breakfast with a sliced pear sprinkled with cinnamon and cup of hot coffee and I was transported to a blissful Paris bakery for a brief minute (because I scarfed it down the moment unfortunately didn’t last long). Or enjoy your muffin with a couple scrambled egg whites for added protein.
Next time around I might try making these with a little more ground cinnamon, Stevia and unsweetened applesauce for some of the oil to lower the fat grams. One large muffin is so tasty, full of healthy fat and natural sugars, so one is good for breakfast or as a treat now and then. Seriously, I know I say this a lot but you’ve got to try these. Wrap individually and easily freeze or refrigerate for an anytime breakfast.
Recipe slightly adapted from Tasty-Yummies blog (http://tasty-yummies.com/).
CARROT CAKE MUFFINS
gluten & dairy free
makes 6 or 8 muffins
• 2 EGGS, large
• 1 tsp PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
• 1/4 cup 100% PURE MAPLE SYRUP or HONEY
• 1/4 cup GRAPESEED OIL (or OLIVE, COCONUT -melted or CANOLA OIL )
• 2 cups ALMOND FLOUR/MEAL
• 1 tsp BAKING SODA
• 1/2 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
• 1/2 tsp NUTMEG, GROUND
• 1/2 tsp SEA SALT
• 2 tbsp FLAXSEED, GROUND (optional)
• 1 cup CARROT, SHREDDED (about 1 large carrot)
• 2 tbsp PECANS, chopped (or WALNUTS)
• 1/4 cup RAISINS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners (6 or 8).
2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs together with vanilla extract, oil and maple syrup. Stir in the almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and ground flaxseed. Fold in the carrots, raisins and nuts. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, filling each cup to a full rounded top if you want 6 large muffins.
3. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool muffins in the pan on a wire rack for five minutes. Gently remove the muffins from pan and continue cooling on the rack (don’t cool them longer than 5 minutes in the hot pan or will get soggy). Store covered tightly in fridge or freezer and just heat in microwave before eating.
VARIATIONS: Add 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut or chopped fresh pineapple to batter or a little orange zest.
NUTRITION INFO PER MUFFIN (when making 6): 410 calories, 32g fat, 2.5g sat fat, 70mg cholesterol, 420g sodium, 25g carb, 6g fiber, 13g sugar, 11g protein
NUTRITION INFO PER MUFFIN (when making 8): 305 calories, 24g fat, 2g sat fat, 54mg cholesterol, 315g sodium, 19g carb, 4g fiber, 10g sugar, 8g protein