Here is the dish I promised in my Spring Greens Salad post. If you are looking for a recipe to jazz up your weeknight (or weekend) plain ol’ chicken breast concoctions, this one’s for you.
Effortless school night family dinner, yet elegant for a weekend party with friends. The sweet, chewy apricots soak up all the delicious flavors in the sauce, coating the meat beautifully along with the sautéed onions and fragrant fresh thyme. Feel free to use fresh peaches or apricots for the dried. Rosemary would also be a great herb addition or substitution for the thyme.
Serve the Apricot Chicken with the Spring Greens Salad and my Roasted Rosemary Potatoes or Asparagus Bundles for a complete meal. You could also adapt to cook in your slow cooker. Give it a try this weekend, it won’t disappoint. Gluten free adaptations below.
• 1 tbsp GRAPESEED, CANOLA or EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
• 1 lb CHICKEN BREASTS, BONELESS, SKINLESS (4 – 4 oz pieces)
• 2/3 cup 100% APRICOT FRUIT SPREAD*
• 1 cup CHICKEN BROTH, LOW SODIUM*
• 2 tbsp APPLE CIDER VINEGAR*
• 2 tsp OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN
• 1 medium YELLOW ONION, sliced
• 1/8 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
• 14 DRIED APRICOTS, chopped
• 3 tsp THYME, FRESH (or 1 1/2 t. dried)
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
*Gluten free option: Use GF chicken broth, vinegar and apricot spread.
1. In a large skillet heat 1 T. oil of medium high heat. Sauté chicken breasts sprinkled with salt and pepper, a few minutes per side until browned (doesn’t have to cook through). Remove chicken from skillet and set aside in a large casserole dish.
2. Place 2 t. olive oil in same skillet with sliced onions. Sauté until softened and lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add chicken broth to deglaze the pan, then vinegar, apricot spread, chopped apricots, cinnamon, thyme, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes. Pour mixture over chicken and bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce has reduced. Serve garnished with fresh thyme sprigs if desired. Serves 4, serving size 1 chicken breast and 1/4 of the apricot sauce.
VARIATIONS: Use fresh apricots or peaches for dried.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 350 calories, 7g fat, 0.5g sat fat, 55mg cholesterol, 44g carb, 2g fiber, 32g sugar, 25g protein