These were a hit at our house. Anything that involves beef and avocados receives 5 star approval from my husband. A friend recently gave me a large bag of avocados from her tree (perk of living in CA). And when life (or a friend) gives you avocados make guacamole, right?
This recipe is a great example of an unhealthy restaurant dish made healthy. I’m a firm believer you can love your food and still eat nutritiously. Treating your body well isn’t as depriving as made out to be in our society with all the plain chicken breasts and steamed broccoli, juice diets, or dinners and snacks served through the UPS man in a cardboard box. Blah.
Enjoy a delicious burger without consuming one million calories, yes one million. Okay, that’s pushing it, but you know how fatty the drive through variety can be. The healthy fat guacamole in this sandwich gives a rich, gourmet taste without using high fat meat and cheese. Wheat dinner rolls are a great substitution for the large often over 200 calories buns used when dining out. Toast them without butter also saves calories and fat. So easy and quick to make too.
Gluten & dairy free recipe options below. Roll that grill out and cook some of these babies up this weekend. Your taste buds will thank you. I served ours with my Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges (cut into match sticks like fries). Delicious.
gluten & dairy free
• 16 oz LEAN GROUND SIRLOIN, 93/7
• 1/4 cup SALSA
• 1/2 tsp GARLIC POWDER
• 1/2 tsp CHILI POWDER
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
• 1/2 cup FIESTA GUACAMOLE (recipe below)
• 4 WHEAT DINNER ROLLS, (toasted)*
• 4 LETTUCE LEAVES
*Gluten free option: Use GF hamburger buns or serve as a salad on a bed of romaine lettuce with extra salsa, guacamole and corn tortilla chips.
1. In a large bowl combine ground sirloin, salsa, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper; stir with hands to incorporate and form into 4 equal sized patties (may cover and refrigerate if grilling later).
2. Heat and indoor or outdoor grill and cook patties 4-5 minutes per side or to desired doneness. Toast dinner roll buns on grill or in a broiler oven.
3. Top each toasted bun with a hamburger patty, about 2 heaping tablespoons fiesta guacamole and a lettuce leaf.
VARIATIONS: Use lean ground turkey for beef and sliced avocado, red onion, tomato slices and cilantro for a “deconstructed” guacamole.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 290 calories, 13g fat, 3.5g sat fat, 60mg cholesterol, 20g carb, 4g fiber, 3g sugar, 27g protein (rolls I used were around 75 cal/each)
• JUICE OF 1 or 2 LIMES
• 1 or 2 cloves GARLIC, grated
• 1/2 cup CORN, FROZEN or FRESH, cooked and cooled
• 1/2 cup RED ONION, finely chopped
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
• 10 CHERRY TOMATOES, halved or quartered
• 3 AVOCADOS, RIPE
• 1/2 cup FRESH CILANTRO, chopped (less or more to taste)
1. Combine tomato, onion, corn, garlic, salt and pepper.
2. Cut each avocado in half, pull out pit, cut flesh into cubes while in peel and scoop out with a spoon by going around the perimeter of avocado between flesh and peel. Add avocado, lime juice, fresh cilantro and hot sauce, if desired. Stir minimally for a chunky guac or more for a creamier dip. Serving size: heaping 1/4 cup. Serve with blue corn tortilla chips.
VARIATIONS: Try grilling or roasting the corn. Sub roma or regular chopped tomato for cherry. Add chopped jalapeno if desired.