My bleach blond, seven year old neighbor recently delivered just picked produce to my door. He went on a school field trip to a local organic farm and remembered I liked fresh vegetables. (That’s my kind of field trip!) So, he and his dad stopped by one evening to share his loot with me, which obviously I willingly and gratefully accepted.
The green onions in his bag inspired this salad, along with a large container of almond butter in my fridge. Since it’s officially salad season I had to go that route for dinner last night. And, I will definitely be making this flavorful plate again. The nut butter creates a creamy, rich dressing with no added oil and heart healthy fat.
Packed with protein, this fresh plate will leave you super satisfied but not weighed down. A great summer side or main feature. Feel free to make ahead and refrigerate all ingredients, just assemble before serving.
CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD with ALMOND BUTTER DRESSING
dairy free & gluten free option
• 1 lb CHICKEN BREASTS, BONELESS, SKINLESS
• 1 tsp GRAPESEED or CANOLA OIL
• 1 large RED BELL PEPPER, chopped
• 12 oz FROZEN EDAMAME, SHELLED, thawed
• 1 cup CARROTS, chopped
• 1/2 tsp GINGER, GROUND
• 1/2 tsp GARLIC POWDER
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
• 8 cups ROMAINE LETTUCE, chopped
• 4 GREEN ONIONS, chopped
• 1/4 cup ALMOND BUTTER, CREAMY (or peanut butter)
• 1 1/2 tbsp SOY SAUCE, LOW SODIUM*
• 1 tbsp HONEY
• 1 tsp SRIRACHA HOT CHILE SAUCE (optional or to taste)
• 1 tbsp FRESH LIME JUICE
• 2 tbsp UNSWEETENED COCONUT MILK (or water)
*Gluten free option: Use wheat free Tamari soy sauce.
1. Preheat grill or oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Cook 6-8 minutes, or until cooked through, per side on grill or 20-25 minutes in oven (in a casserole dish with fitted lid). Let set for 5 minutes and chop or slice.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tsp oil. Sauté carrots, red pepper and edamame until slightly charred, 5-6 minutes (may need to cook in batches). Season with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and ground ginger and stir. Set aside to cool.
3. Whisk almond butter (may need to warm in microwave slightly to soften), honey, soy sauce, lime juice and hot sauce until smooth.
4. Top lettuce with vegetables, chicken and dressing. Serve warm or chilled sprinkled with green onions to garnish. Serves 4, serving size 1 salad.
VARIATIONS: Add other vegetables like cabbage, peas or cucumber and top with slivered almonds, chopped peanuts or fresh cilantro.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 410 calories, 16g fat, 2g sat fat, 55mg cholesterol, 28g carb, 8g fiber, 13g sugar, 40g protein