Summer salads are definitely in my top ten most loved things list. They top the chart over my husband doing the dishes, the fuchsia rose bush in my garden and all the Pop Chips in the world (okay, the chips might be tough competition).
When desiring a change in routine, I scan my favorite recipes looking for one that can easily transform to a salad. I’ve discovered almost anything can be put on top of leafy greens, so let your imagination run wild. You’ve probably already guessed the inspiration for this delicious and easy dish. Limited cook time keeps your house cool on these hot days, and the fajita filling is easily made ahead and reheated or served cold. Also a great way to re-purpose leftover chicken.
A beautiful dinner party salad. Serve on a large platter with a large bowl of corn tortilla chips and various toppings for guests to add and create their own personalized salad. Try my Black Bean Mango Salsa or Simple Fresh Salsa on the side. Nonfat Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream, it’s thick, rich and contains fewer calories, fat and extra protein.
Extra salsa is a delicious and healthy dressing option. For a creamier twist, whisk one part of your favorite salsa with one part Greek yogurt, sea salt and pepper. Easily adapt recipe for the grill this weekend. Enjoy my healthy food friends!
CHICKEN FAJITA SALAD
gluten & dairy free
• 1 lb CHICKEN BREASTS, cooked & cut into strips
• 1 large GREEN BELL PEPPER, sliced
• 1 large RED BELL PEPPER, sliced
• 1 medium ONION, sliced
• 1 tbsp GRAPESEED OIL (olive or canola oil)
• 2 tsp CUMIN, GROUND
• 2 tsp CHILI POWDER
• 1 tsp GARLIC POWDER
• SEA SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
• 2 tbsp SALSA
• 2 tbsp WATER
• 8 cups MIXED BABY GREENS or ROMAINE LETTUCE
• 1 AVOCADO, sliced or chopped
• 20 CHERRY TOMATOES, halved
• 2-3 tbsp FRESH CILANTRO, chopped
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onions, salt and pepper. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until softened.
2. Add cooked, sliced chicken breasts, cumin, chili powder, garlic, water, salsa, salt and pepper if needed. Toss to coat and simmer on low for 3-5 minutes. Let cool.
3. Top greens or lettuce with fajita mixture (warm or cold), fresh cilantro, cherry tomatoes, avocado and extra salsa for dressing. Other toppings to try: nonfat Greek yogurt, low fat shredded cheese, grilled corn or black beans. Serve corn tortilla chips on the side, if desired. Serves 4.
VARIATIONS: Add or substitute lean steak or shrimp.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING (includes avocado, tomatoes and cilantro toppings): 290 calories, 12g fat, 1.5g fat, 55mg cholesterol, 21g carb, 9g fiber, 6g sugar, 27g protein