Chocolate and peanut butter. Can we pause to have a moment of culinary silence for one of the finest ingredient combinations here?
Enjoying this muffin may remind you of a Reese’s peanut butter cup but my treat has no refined sugar or flour. At only 140 calories and low in carbs (because of the almond flour) you can delight in a chocolate-y, peanut butter-y delicacy and not throw out your healthy eating habits in a couple nibbles.
You would never guess these are also gluten and dairy free. Moist and delicious due to the banana, applesauce and peanut butter – no oil or butter added! Allergen free eater or not, you’ll love these. Please don’t skip the coffee, it intensifies the chocolate flavor without adding ANY coffee taste. Just pure chocolate goodness.
I love warming mine up, smearing with a little extra peanut or almond butter, biting in, and finding the surprises of melted dark chocolate studded throughout. Oh, my. Easily wrap up and freeze for an anytime snack, dessert, brunch or breakfast side. Enjoy!
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER MUFFINS
(recipe adapted from Running to the Kitchen blog)
gluten & dairy free
makes 10 muffins
• 1/2 cup ALMOND FLOUR
• 1/4 cup COCONUT FLOUR
• 1/8 cup PURE COCOA POWDER
• 1/2 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
• 1/2 tsp BAKING SODA
• 1/4 tsp SALT, SEA
• 2 EGGS
• 1 large RIPE BANANA, mashed
• 1/4 cup UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE, natural
• 2 tbsp MAPLE SYRUP, 100% PURE or HONEY (more or less for desired sweetness)
• 1/4 cup STRONG BREWED COFFEE
• 1/4 cup PEANUT BUTTER, NATURAL, creamy or chunky (or almond butter)
• 1/2 tbsp VANILLA EXTRACT
• 1/4 cup DARK CHOCOLATE BAR, 65% cocao or higher (or chocolate chips)*
*Gluten/dairy free option: use allergen free chocolate bar or chips.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a regular muffin tin with 10 paper liners. Spray inside of liners with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl whisk eggs, applesauce, maple syrup, peanut butter, coffee, mashed banana, cinnamon, cocoa and vanilla. Stir in almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt, just until incorporated. Fold in chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
3. Pour equal amounts of batter into each prepared baking muffin cups. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and let set in pan 5 minutes then remove and cool on a rack. Eat warm with a little extra smear of peanut or almond butter! Makes 10 regular size muffins.
NUTRITION INFO PER MUFFIN: 140 calories, 8g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 45mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 13g carb, 3g fiber, 6g sugar, 5g protein