For the busy month of September my aspiration was to post a multitude of quick and easy meals. Staying true to this schedule packed time of year, I too was preoccupied and traveling. Now, we are half way through the month and the score is blog/recipe ideas = 50 / actual dishes made = 0. In practicing grace for myself and embracing my new motto “start where you are”, I’m following through with my objective and present the first effortless dish for this lively time of year.
This breakfast or dessert is fuss free, sugar free, gluten free, dairy free and takes about 5 minutes tops to prep. I even used berries straight from the freezer (money saving tip: freeze berries when in season to use year round). Filled with heart healthy fat, antioxidants, crunch and sweetness. A great year round meal finisher. I couldn’t resist and added a few scoops to my cereal this morning – so good!
Trouble-free weekend, morning or weeknight baking. Keep watching for more simple, speedy recipes this month (I’ve got some good ones to share).
EASY BERRY CRISP
gluten & dairy free option
• 4 cups BLUEBERRIES, FRESH or FROZEN (or any fruit or fruit mixture – I used 2 cups frozen organic blueberries & 2 cups frozen blackberries in picture)
• 1 cup MUESLI or ROLLED OATS* (I used Bob’s Red Mill brand)
• 1/2 cup PECAN HALVES, RAW, chopped
• 1/2 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
• 1/4 cup OLIVE OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN or COCONUT OIL (slightly melted)
• 1/2 cup ALMOND FLOUR/MEAL
• 1/4 cup 100% PURE MAPLE SYRUP (or to taste)
• 1/4 tsp SALT, SEA
*Gluten free option: Use GF oats or muesli if tolerated (sub extra chopped nuts if not tolerable).
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 9″ baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Layer fresh or frozen fruit evenly in bottom of prepared baking dish and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl combine muesli or oats, pecans, almond flour, cinnamon, oil, maple syrup and sea salt; mix until combined. Sprinkle crisp topping over berries and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold topped with Greek yogurt, drizzle of almond milk, low fat vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. Serves 8. Serving size: 1 piece.
VARIATIONS: Use chopped apples, peaches, raspberries, strawberries or other fruit.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 260 calories, 16g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 31g carb, 5g fiber, 14g sugar, 6g protein
Recipe adapted from Shauna Niequist’s Bread & Wine book