A super easy dinner, 5-10 minutes prep and the slow cooker does all work and flavor infusing. I even tossed in frozen chicken breasts. An age old barrier to healthy cooking and eating…. frozen protein. I’ve heard many stories of good dinner intentions gone awry by the discovery of ice cold chicken, turkey or seafood an hour before gathering around the table. Resulting in defeated drive through runs and surrendering to bags of frozen chicken nuggets. It’s a modern day travesty, really.
Not to worry, this recipe will make your healthy intentions a speedy reality. Assemble ingredients in a crock pot in the morning or at lunch and let delightful flavors of coconut milk, ginger and curry meld to develop this flavorful meal. Serve over steamy brown rice, fluffy quinoa or in a bowl with a side of steamed vegetables.
My husband (self-proclaimed curry avoider) surprisingly loved, loved, I say it again, loved this dish. By the end of the cooking process the chicken breasts are so tender you can shred them effortlessly with a spoon to allow more delicious broth to season the chicken even further as you eat. A must try recipe in my opinion. Inexpensive and simple, weeknight or dinner party approved main course.
SLOW COOKER BASIL CHICKEN IN COCONUT CURRY SAUCE
gluten & dairy free
• 2 tbsp COCONUT OIL (or olive oil)
• 1 large RED ONION, thick slices from root to tip
• 1 lb CHICKEN BREASTS, BONELESS, SKINLESS (frozen or fresh)
• 1 medium GREEN BELL PEPPER, chopped (or 2 jalapenos)
• 3/4 tsp SALT, SEA
• 1/4 tsp BLACK PEPPER
• 5 cloves GARLIC, minced (or 1 1/4 t. garlic powder)
• 2 tsp GINGER, GROUND (or 1 T. fresh minced ginger)
• CURRY SPICE MIXTURE (recipe below)*
• 1 can LITE COCONUT MILK (14-15 oz)
• 1 tbsp FRESH LIME JUICE
• 12-20 FRESH BASIL LEAVES, torn into pieces
• FRESH CILANTRO (optional)
1. Spread coconut oil in the bottom of a slow cooker. Layer sliced onions and chicken breasts. Top with chopped pepper, sea salt, pepper and garlic. Combine ginger, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, cayenne, turmeric to make curry spice mixture and sprinkle over top.
2. Carefully pour one can lite coconut oil over top of chicken, vegetables and spices. Cover and cook on high 4-6 hours or low 6-8 hours (less time if chicken is not frozen). Add lime juice and basil leaves before serving. Serve over hot cooked brown rice, quinoa, or with a side of vegetables. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired. Serves 4.
*CURRY SPICE MIXTURE RECIPE: 1/2 tsp CORIANDER, GROUND 1/2 tsp CUMIN, GROUND 1/4 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND 1/4 tsp CARDAMOM, GROUND 1/2 tsp TURMERIC, GROUND 1/4-1/2 tsp CAYENNE PEPPER, GROUND (or to taste)
VARIATIONS: Add any favorite chopped vegetables to broth.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 290 calories, 16g fat, 55mg cholesterol, 10g carb, 2g fiber, 4g sugar, 24g protein
recipe adapted from Simply Recipes website