Today is the two year anniversary for Repurposed Life. I am extremely grateful for this opportunity to share healthy recipes, life and lifestyle ideas with you. It has also been a joy and encouragement to hear from many of you who have shared parts of your journey and story with me along the way. Thank you. That is one thing I’ve loved most about beginning this adventure. Here’s to another year of growing, eating good food and living life to it’s fullest! Please let me know if you have any requests or ideas how I can make this site more helpful, useful or encouraging to you in the future. And of course, if any would like to share a healthy life change, useful tip or something you’ve learned feel free to comment at the end.
So wow, starting year three I’ve evolved and am just enthralled with creating easy meals the past few weeks. I hope you are laughing with me here. Salsa Chicken is another stress free, trouble free, no fuss, uncomplicated, undemanding (insert any other synonym for easy) dish.
Lean chicken breasts slow cook in tomato-y salsa, green peppers, onions and a few spices. Every time I’ve pulled out my crock pot recently I think, sometimes verbally, “why don’t I use you more?” “This is so simple.” I know talking to your kitchen appliances probably isn’t the best sign of health and vitality, and probably makes you question if I need to get out more, but it’s the honest truth. I am completely loving it. The depth of flavors created in the low and slow cooking process are none to be replicated. When you lift the lid on this recipe and the steam rolls out it’s like opening a present. You’re welcomed with pleasant aromas and effortless taste.
I got this versatile recipe idea from another wonderful neighbor whose healthy endeavors have inspired and encouraged me. Top salsa chicken on a baked sweet potato (trust me it’s nothing short of delicious, Klint was suspicious but one bite quickly changed his mind), flour or corn tortillas, lettuce for a taco salad, or use as a dip for tortilla chips.
Simple & scale friendly game day recipe!
SALSA CHICKEN (slow cooker)
gluten & dairy free
• 1 lb CHICKEN BREASTS, boneless, skinless
• 1 large GREEN BELL PEPPER
• 1 large ONION
• 1/2 tsp CUMIN, GROUND
• 1/2 tsp CHILI POWDER
• 1/2 tsp GARLIC POWDER
• 16 oz SALSA*
• SEA SALT & PEPPER, to taste
*Gluten free option: Use a salsa the is GF.
1. Place chicken breasts in a greased or sprayed slow cooker. Sprinkle cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper evenly over chicken. Top with roughly chopped bell pepper and sliced onion. Pour salsa over everything and cook 5-6 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high (may need to adjust time if using frozen chicken).
2. Remove lid and shred chicken with two forks. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve chicken filling stuffed in a baked sweet potato, corn/flour tortilla, on lettuce for a taco salad or as a dip for corn tortilla chips. Serving size about 10 oz or 1/4 of recipe. Top with fresh chopped cilantro, avocado, low fat shredded cheese, plain Greek yogurt or other favorite toppings (add calories accordingly).
VARIATIONS: Add frozen or fresh corn, cooked or canned black beans the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 180 calories, 1g fat, 55mg cholesterol, 14g carb, 1g fiber, 6g sugar, 24g protein
thank you image source: http://community.switchfoot.com/index.php?/topic/11384-happy-birthday-jon-foreman/