Have extra canned pumpkin leftover from making bars, bread or muffins? This recipe is the perfect seasonal way to utilize spare pureed orange goodness. Easily double or triple the recipe and take for family and friends to enjoy on your ride to the pumpkin patch. Wrap individual bars in parchment paper and tie with a colorful autumn ribbon, kids will love them.
Granola bars can be one of those “skinny fat” foods. Promoted as healthy, but certain varieties are full of sugar and oil. Covered in chocolate selections can have just as many calories and sugar as a candy bar. I love creating chewy snacks in my own kitchen so I can control and substitute ingredients. Heart healthy nuts, raisins and oats accompany the creamy pumpkin in this delicious treat.
Chocolate advocates feel free to toss in dark chocolate for the raisins or drizzle a little on top. Wrap up for a lunch box treat, afternoon snack, on-the-go breakfast or 3pm boost at work.
PUMPKIN GRANOLA BARS
gluten & dairy free
makes 12 bars
• 3 1/4 cup ROLLED OATS*
• 1/2 cup 100% PURE PUMPKIN, canned
• 1/2 cup UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE, natural
• 1/3 cup HONEY
• 1/3 cup PUMPKIN (PEPITA) SEEDS, RAW
• 1/3 cup ALMONDS, chopped
• 1 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
• 1/2 tsp PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
• 1/4 tsp NUTMEG, GROUND
• 1/2 tsp SEA SALT
• 1/2 cup RAISINS (dried cranberries or dark chocolate)
*Gluten free option: Use GF oats if tolerable.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8×8″ or 9×9″ baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl combine pumpkin, honey, applesauce and spices. Add oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds, salt and raisins. Stir until combined
3. Pour granola mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool 5-10 minutes, gently remove from pan and let cool on a baking rack. When completely cool cut into 12 squares. Serving size 1 bar.
VARIATIONS: Try with chopped pecans, walnuts, chopped dried apples or apricots.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 190 calories, 4.5g fat, 100mg sodium, 33g carb, 4g fiber, 13g sugar, 4g fiber, 6g protein