Can I just say “wow”? Yes, “wow” is the only description needed. One of the best gluten and dairy free healthy baked goods I’ve made, or eaten, to date. And only 120 calories and 12g of carbs per slice!
Three wonderfully rich combinations coconut, chocolate and almond. Imitating the flavors of the popular Almond Joy candy bar, allergen free or not you’ll absolutely love this one.
I wrapped all cake wedges individually, placing five in the fridge and five in the freezer. Top with a scoop of cold coconut milk ice cream, sprinkle of coconut, drizzle of melted chocolate, creamy Greek yogurt or fresh sweet berries. So, so, so good. I’ll be the first to admit I ate some for breakfast this morning and it was delightful with hot coffee.
Growing up in a small town I realize not everyone has easy access to health food products. Take heart, with the world wide web ingredients are at your finger tips and delivered straight to your door. Honeyville is a great brand you can find online at Amazon (www.amazon.com) or their website (www.honeyville.com) and fairly reasonably priced. I use Sweet Leaf liquid stevia drops (also found on Amazon or health food store) the clear which is flavorless, but they come in a variety of flavors from hazelnut to chocolate, lemon and more.
Weekend baking made easy.
CHOCOLATE COCONUT ALMOND CAKE
gluten & dairy free
makes 10 slices
• 1 cup UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE
• 3 EGGS, large
• 1/4 cup UNSWEETENED COCONUT MILK BEVERAGE
• 1/2 tsp PURE ALMOND EXTRACT*
• 2 tbsp PURE HONEY
• 2 tbsp COCOA, POWDER*
• 30 DROPS LIQUID STEVIA (or 2-3 T. extra honey)
• 1/2 cup UNSWEETENED SHREDDED COCONUT (or chocolate chips)
• 1/4 tsp SALT, SEA
• 1/2 tsp BAKING SODA
• 3/4 cup ALMOND FLOUR**
• 1/4 cup COCONUT FLOUR
*Gluten free option: Use GF almond extract and cocoa powder.
**I have not had good results using Bob’s Red Mill almond flour when baking. The texture is grainy and doesn’t rise as well, for best results use finely ground or make your own.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine applesauce, eggs, honey, almond extract, coconut milk, cocoa powder, liquid stevia (or extra honey) in a large bowl. Add salt, baking soda, shredded coconut and flours.
3. Spray with coconut cooking spray (or grease with coconut or olive oil) an 8″ round or 8×8″ square baking pan. Pour batter into dish and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until cooked through. Let cool and cut into 10 pieces. Serving size, one piece. Topping options (calories not included below): fresh berries, drizzle of melted chocolate, coconut milk ice cream, lowfat Greek yogurt, shredded coconut, berry spread or almond butter.
NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: 120 calories, 7gfat, 2.5g sat fat, 65mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 12g carb, 3g fiber, 6g sugar, 4g protein
NEW FAVORITE AT HOME WORKOUT
If you are looking for a good, solid strength training workout this one is spot on. Designed to give you lean (not bulky) muscles by combining upper and lower body to keep your heart rate up, burning extra calories. All that’s needed is a set of 3 or 4 lb weights and a good ol’ DVD player. Purchase at some Targets, Walmart or online (again Amazon is where I got mine).
No More Trouble Zones