Rich, creamy, cinnamon spiced pumpkin pie with a crunchy almond crust. That’s all I have to say about that.
PUMPKIN PIE (with ALMOND CRUST)
gluten & dairy free
• 2 cups ALMOND FLOUR
• 2 tbsp COCONUT OIL
• 1/4 tsp SALT, SEA
• 1 EGG, large
• 1 3/4 cup PURE PUMPKIN (1-15 oz can)
• 2 EGGS, large
• 1/3 – 1/2 cup PURE or HONEY
• 1/2 tsp PURE VANILLA EXTRACT*
• 3/4 cup UNSWEETENED COCONUT MILK BEVERAGE (Almond or Regular Milk)
• 1 1/2 tsp CINNAMON, GROUND
• 1 1/2 tsp PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
• 1/2 tsp SALT, SEA
*Gluten free option: Use GF vanilla extract.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. For crust: In a food processor pulse almond flour and salt a few times. Add coconut oil and egg, process until it forms a ball. Press crust into a 9″ pie plate. Bake for 2-3 minutes to set slightly.
3. For filling: Whisk eggs, pumpkin, honey, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt and pumpkin spice together in a mixing bowl until smooth. Pour mixture into slightly baked crust. Place on a baking or pizza pan lined with foil. Bake for 10 minutes then cover crust with a pie crust shield or foil to keep from burning. Continue baking for 30-40 additional minutes, or until center of pie is just set.
4. Cool on a rack and refrigerate to chill. Cut into 10 pieces and serve. Serving size, 1 piece. Top with toasted pecans, pepita (pumpkin) seeds, Greek yogurt, whipped cream or coconut milk ice cream.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 250 calories, 16g fat, 4g sat fat, 65mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 23g carb, 4g fiber, 16g sugar, 7g protein
Almond crust recipe from Elana’s Pantry Paleo Pie Crust, http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-pie-crust/.